Saturday, June 18, 2011

Glasses, Friends, Forest School, Chatterbooks, Sleepover, Drama, Yoga and cat poo

Monday

I went to the opticians and had everything checked and ordered new glasses (£340 - aarrrgggh) - have been waiting for a good pay month for the last 18 months to be able to do this. I am very short-sighted (so the NHS gives me £13 off the price), about -12, so glasses are always pricey. Really would have liked to have purple frames again but have got a nice blue shade so should be OK. Will be lovely to have glasses not held together with pipe-cleaner again and feel 'smart' enough in them to go out places rather than having to use contact lenses for out-and-about times. I do wear my pipe-cleaner bridged ones for local shop but wouldn't want to go any further in them.

After the opticians I had a coffee all by myself in Costa's and then met a friend from Writers' Retreat for lunch, which was lovely. We had a good catch-up chat over soup and bread and then a wander in the Railway Land nature reserve.
Back home, Season 6 of Smallville had arrived and so we watched the first few episodes and had Chinese food I think!


Tuesday

Freya (she has asked me to stop calling her 'F' here and really I think that's fine) had her friend E round for a play. They had a lovely time, mostly playing outside I think. I was working and did a bit of housework.


Wednesday

Freya had Forest School in the morning and Chatterbooks in the afternoong. She came back from Forest School with her web/dreamcatcher made of wood and string and a mosaic that she'd done. She'd been worried about the web thing as she'd missed the session when the others had finished theirs and taken them home, and then it had been half term, so it was good that she got to finish it and bring it home. 

In between Forest School and Chatterbooks she had a bath with some ponies and demonstrated that she can actually be very organized by knowing exactly where her 6 library books were! I didn't have a clue so that was good. Chatterbooks is every 3 weeks so things can go astray quite easily.

She came back from Chatterbooks with an Usborne chemistry book that looks good. She's also been revisiting a beautiful Periodic Table book with sumptuous pictures that J got her.
I was very tired, having had one hour's sleep with a very big deadline that morning, and I went to bed at about half nine. Freya came and gave me 2 dream ponies so that I would dream of horses on beaches and she read me a few pages of Anne of Green Gables, which was just bliss!


Thursday

Livewires was going to be sports/fun day but was cancelled. At least we got a lie-in though! Freya's friend was coming over for a sleepover later so Freya and I sorted her room out a bit, removing some items that were taking up too much room, hoovering and generally improving. Her friend came at half two and they had a lovely time, out on the trampoline with foam tiles making a sort of den, playing with Sylvanians, ponies and Barbies, making impromptu cloudy lemonade and watching Toy Story 3. Gave them pizza and chips for tea and when J was home we all played Battleships - the 3 of them against me because I'm too good at it, apparently. I did win, so maybe I am.
They went up at about 10 and were quite lively for another hour then started to settle, but were still awake long after midnight!


Friday

We were all up fairly early, so girls had had only about 7 or 8 hours I think. Quite tired, and Freya did get a bit teary and remained wobbly throughout the day with little things triggering her getting upset or angry, so we had to have several 'talks' none of which really resolved it all as it was mainly tiredness.
Nevertheless they had some fun in the morning, despite tiredness and pouring rain, and me having to deal with stressful aspects of long-haired cat having poo attached to it's bum-fluff and not letting me decontaminate it.

It was still pouring at midday, even worse in fact, so I took them up to Drama by taxi.
Drama now stops until September, which is quite a loss but I know summer will whizz by anyway. While they were there, I had to go and do some money-juggling cash-machine business to give J some cash at work, which is luckily nearby, so I did that in an absolute downpour, then came back and sat in on the session. They were doing some more work on an extract from A Midsummer's Night Dream, with lots of emphasis on expressing meaning with sound, saying words in different ways to fit the meaning. Was good and the three of them all seemed very engaged. Drama teacher M packs so much in to the time, in a quality way, not a leave-you-behind-if-you-don't-catch-up way. They finished up with some movement games and tongue-twisters.

E's grandparents gave us a lift down to Yoga, which I hadn't attended before. Was nice to see C and M and K there. I sat in the corner being a bit of a norty whispering mummy, just because it was that kind of day and I needed to a bit. 
I had thought the Yoga might be aimed very low and be a bit 'silly' because it is always advertised as being for little ones. But it was good, plenty there for Freya and older ones too and didn't seem to be at all patronising or annoying. So that might be something we do more often.

Freya and I walked home in the rain together after buying a couple of books and some felt pens and a few other bits. I was feeling very knackered by then (I'd stayed up late working) and bought some curry from local shop for dinner too. Once we were on our own she was all fine and no more tears or trouble. Sometimes it comes from situations with multiple things going on, too much communication to misunderstand or want to understand all of.

Enjoyed a Friday evening of wine, curry and Smallville, interrupted by an unpleasant half hour of J and I having to deal with the long-haired cat's nether regions. Slept like a log after quite a busy week.

No comments: