Saturday, July 19, 2014

Birthday!

Monday July 7th
Think Freya had Geography and Aerial as usual, and spent time with L and N in between, then I picked her up. Can't really remember! Oh I know that J managed miraculously to get hold of someone to take lots of our rubbish away, wonderful! That very day! Was very excited and glad - mainly clearing our garage.
Bought some gorgeous coloured plastic tumblers for the sleepover, really rich colours, jewel-like orange, purple, green and blue.

Tuesday July 8th
In the morning Freya and I went into town to buy birthday presents for her friend J and then her friend M came at middayish and they went swimming at open air pool as J's impromptu birthday get-together treat, there were about 7 or 8 of them I think. For a while the weather looked unlikely so there was some hovering over changes of plans, but in the end they had a good outdoor afternoon swim. M's mum brought Freya back when they finished. I tackled areas of Freya's room, in preparation for huge sleepover.
In the evening I took Freya to a Guides' Film Night, they were seeing Mamma Mia (bit of a sing-a-long), partly as a fundraiser for some Guide travel plans.

Wednesday July 9th
Did lots of clearing in Freya's room, moving furniture, etc. Fitting 10 girls into a not very big bedroom was a bit of a challenge, and only doable if almost everything was taken out. J was brilliant and helped so much with all sorts of things, really appreciated it.

Thursday July 10th
Finished preparation of various types and girls began arriving from 2.30 on. Weather was not looking so great, so they were going to have to be inside more of the time than we'd hoped, had wanted to have pool set up.
When everyone had arrived they spent time in Freya's room putting all their stuff in place and then with Freya opening her presents from them - she had a lovely selection of gifts including Paperchase animal rubbers, loom bands, a great creativity-inspiring book ("Wreck this Journal" by Keri Smith), cute soft toy animals and other very welcome items. Then they had little chocolate cupcakes and soon after that did some tie-dying (had bought a pack of generously-sized white T-shirts online and selection of green, purple and red dyes and lots of rubber bands). 
Then pizza, and watching some episodes of Friends (and doing loom bands at some point, can't remember when, probably earlier than that, and then again later). Then having Cornettos and getting a bit restless while J and I had our dinner - we don't have space for us to eat at same time as ten guests even if we did ourselves vegan pizzas for the occasion, which we didn't.
After that, I took them all to the park and they did some 'challenges' (2 teams each have to work out how to get a glass of water carried along a route - only one person can hold the water, others mustn't touch it, person holding water can't touch the ground, people carrying for one part of route can't carry again, etc.). 

Mainly though they clambered about and were generally a bit lairy (well OK not all of them!) and enjoyed being outside and together (not raining any more, turned into an OK evening). We were singing "Happy" as we walked back at sunset, was all very nice, despite some crazy clambering moments at times.
Back home, they watched Frozen, with some maltezers and other such items to share. Lots of singing, more loom bands whilst watching, for some.
Then bed, and not much sleep for most I think. I got 4 hours and that wasn't bad.

Friday July 11th
Ran the tie-dye through the dryer and gave girls breakfast of brioche thingies and fruit, then we all set off to walk over to the pool. In the rain, unfortunately. Friday Club K had hired the pool for an hour but it turned out to be a rare rainy hour, everyone gamely went in anyway, but it was not the best end-of-term treat we've ever had! Nor was it weather I could take a lovely photo of 10 tie-dye T-shirts in. Never mind. 
Went into town afterwards with Emmi Lou B and co. and went to Costa for a while. Then home to recover from all the hospitality providing tasks of the previous 24 hours. 

Weekend
Saturday - moved furniture back and similar. J and I wrapped prezzies in the evening.


Sunday - Freya's birthday, lovely relaxed day and she loved all the gifts - her main present was a new phone and then there were various bits and bobs including books (Terry Pratchett, Nancy Drew, Divergent series), a lovely purple bag, some summery tops, an art set, a 3DS game, a couple of craft kits.
Love my daughter so much - 13 now, wow!  Seems quite amazing really.
J's mum came and we went out for pizza. Very nice day, watched Pleasantville in the evening, I think.

Monday July 14th
Geography for Freya, and Aerial and time with L and N.. We got wraps and chips for dinner when I picked her up. I did some work and we met a cute dog who we are hoping to look after in August, when her owner is away.

Tuesday July 15th
Went into Brighton and saw How to Train your Dragon 2 - I didn't enjoy it hugely, would give it a 6 out of 10, Freya liked it a bit more. Think J liked it most.

Wednesday July 16th
Went into Brighton again, this time to a soft-play party for a sibling of Freya's friend K. I had a good long natter with L on a sofa, and also was in a mood for coffee and cake, so was OK. Set Freya up on Facebook in the evening and she is enjoying that.

Thursday July 17th
K came over for a couple of hours and they did loom bands and made a slushy (another of Freya's presents - a slushy maker cup from me) - it looked like it wouldn't work and then it suddenly did, very miraculous-seeming and fun. Sudden transformations proved the theme of the day as they also had loom bands that change colour in the sun. 
After K left, Freya walked up to Dance, which turned out not to be on (there had been some debate), so she went back with L, M and M to C's house round the corner from Dance.
I had a nice chat with CC, who admired our recent decluttering achievements and reported on her own and some other interesting stuff.

Friday July 18th
Filled our pool, as this heat is set in for a while I reckon. 
Took Freya and M to Pells Pool and had a lovely swim myself and started reading a good chunky thriller. All very nice, despite being very crowded at first and then again when we left, but not so bad in between. And bumped into cousin's wife HH. Was funny, I just checked Facebook when the girls had got changed and gone in, and there was HH's status saying she was at Pells Pool enjoying the sunshine. Commented "LOL so am I" or words to that effect and then we found each other, via Freya.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

What a lovely birthday! You are an ace mum xx

a said...

Aww thanks Michelle, I do try hard at least!