Sunday, September 14, 2014

PGL, Not Back To School Picnics x2, Fencing, Sewing

End of August
Last week of August - one day Freya went swimming with a friend and came back by herself on bus I think. And we went up to friend's house one afternoon and had a nice relaxed time up there, with another family too. Also did more bike practice in the park. And did a tricky Russian job and washed and packed for PGL...

PGL weekend 29th August to 1st September
Last year, C organized a great weekend for a small group of girls at PGL. They had such an excellent time and Freya achieved a lot of new things.
This year there was a larger group - 9 girls and 1 boy - and we went for a slightly longer weekend, arriving Friday, with 2 full days of activities and 1 half day, so 10 daytime activities, plus evening things (games, disco). 
They had a great time, their selection of activities was really good: Jacob's ladder, Giant swing, Tunnel Trail, BMX, Trapeze, Raft-building, Climbing, Abseiling, Zip wire, Archery.
Freya's favourites were Giant swing, Abseiling and Zip Wire.
The year before I had promised that I would do the Zip Wire this year, so I did, it was really good! 
The group leader we had was nice, though a bit keen to fill every spare 10 mins with physical games, which wasn't that good for most of our group, who might have liked more social time to be together. But that wasn't a major problem, I think sometimes some just sat out or got themselves out of the game quickly so they could get on with proper social stuff!
C did a brilliant job again, organizing it all, and we were accompanied by A too, think we were a good team, we weren't needed much mind you.






2nd to 7th September
Tuesday 2nd was a post-PGL flopping type of day, though we did go out to get bubble wands and mix for upcoming Not Back To School Picnics, and had a drink at a cafe too.
Wednesday was a picnic, had a really nice time. I accompanied 4 girls on buses. Coming back was very lengthy as we hit roadworks at rush hour. Not good, but the girls were very good about it, no moaning.





The next day was a home day, Freya started a sewing project.
Friday was first Book Club of term, which went fine, did extracts from Ever After High and Caddy's World, got them asking each other questions about books and reading in general. Then.another picnic, this time in Brighton, some of the same people, some faces I don't see often and lovely to see them and exchange hugs and news. More bubbles at the end.
Home for Friday curry.
Weekend - worked a bit and Freya took part in #fencingmob 





Back at home we did some maths, we are on fractions right now, and neither of us much likes them I think, so far.

8th to 14th September
Everything started up for Autumn term. So Freya went to Geography on Monday morning, and Aerial in the evening, where she found out 2 good friends were joining her session, really happy news for her.
Most evenings we fitted in a bit of maths or English.
Tuesday we went to Hove Park to meet a few other families for the afternoon, had a nice time, lovely day for it.
Wednesday, took Freya to Forest School, working towards her going by herself on the bus at some point. I stayed in the cafe to work. Had a really tricky workload and no proper Internet connection so wasn't easy. Managed it eventually.
Thursday had some quiet time at home in morning, Freya continued to work on her sewing project - she is making a sleeveless top and learning how to use patterns.


Really good thing to do, and one of those things you learn best by doing, and seeing how it works.
Then Dance - only 4 of them now, but seems to have been fine, and Art and then I met her to do the transition to Guides from Art, which involves dinner somewhere (panini or chips), walk uphill and change into Guide uniform, not necessarily in that order. Guides was OK too, I went and saw my mum while she was there, then picked her up to go home.
Friday was Know Your Trash Friday Club session, then swimming for Freya and some other Friday Club people, then Freya went to G's for a sleepover.

Weekend 13th and 14th September
Freya came home middayish and we watched some old BB, she was quite tired and a bit sniffly with a cold coming on I think. Then I went to a Friday Club meeting about numbers and new people and other non-Friday Club stuff. Then C kindly gave us a lift with rushing about to get L and Freya to an evening outdoor Guide thing (which was described as involving 'thousands' of tea lights but was still quite pretty with maybe hundreds of candles around the ruins).

Finally up-to-date!

1 comment:

Dani said...

Lovely stuff, as always :-)

Re fractions, I just stumbled across this video, which has some useful insights on teaching maths. It's a bit long, but very interesting, I thought.