HE:
Various references to letters and sounds, lego patterns, symmetry, discussion of sharks which led to fish/mammals/birds/insects, briefly (fortunately undertaken by J, since that kind of thing just makes me want to do the Monty Python sketch). Pizza-making and clay. I love clay. Pizza made with the new vegan mozzarella was just delicious, and she really did do a lot of the making this time, stirring the mix, kneading the dough, rolling and adding toppings. Last time we did this a few months ago, she didn't really do much of it, and we had almost constant arguments. This time she did most of it and we only had one row near the end. She generally was interested and involved, which was great.
Clay: I love clay. I forget until I actually get the chance to use some, but it's one of the few arty things I really relax with and enjoy. She asked me to make some models of Dozy Mog and of a shark (J brought a shark toy home - promotional item from hardware company), so I did, but also showed her how to make a thumb pot, since she showed interest. So she made her first thumb pot, and I looked at it and thought I want to keep that forever, and it could go on her bookshelf in her room, maybe. Later that evening she trashed it for some reason that she hasn't yet communicated. I was quite sad. But anyway, we will do clay regularly I think - it is really good for working with her 'difficult' hand, and it's one of those activities that I enjoy too. In fact I think we could try a few more crafts, now that she is showing that she can listen a bit more and sometimes accept guidance, rather than throwing a wobbly about not doing it her own way every 5 minutes. A friend sent me a vast quantity of ideas which I will sift through when I get the time (Thanks HH! *wave*). It's difficult to get the balance of showing/guiding as opposed to her feeling too controlled. I always thought I was OK at letting her find her way around new materials, etc., but maybe I shouldn't even have shown her how to make a thumb pot, but then again she did seem interested. (*squirms around in self-tying would-be-autonomous knots like an over-self-analyzing idiot*)
She insisted I make the shark's mouth go the happy way up, not the sad way.
Life:
Some kind of major incident is unfolding in London today. Appears to be terrorist activity. Yesterday, London was euphoric with the news of the Olympics. Now this, as the G8 summit opens. Sad and frightening.
Think I'll take refuge in putting together F's 'baby book' - when I was pregnant we bought a nice green scrapbook thing and started collecting pictures and info from pregnancy to go into it, intending to keep it up after she was born, but then there was the discovery a few days after her birth that she had suffered a stroke, there was the uncertainty about the outcome, and then as it became apparent that it was all going to be pretty much OK, at least that we were going to survive, there was just the everyday busy time of having a baby, then toddler, physiotherapy and not getting enough sleep, and a bit of delayed shock to deal with. Well, those are all excuses I know, but today, for whatever reason, I want to sit down and put pictures and cuttings etc. in her book.
Lowlights: Terrorism, pee on the carpet, attempting to get a 4-yr old to start potty/toilet training.
Highlights: Pizza-making, Clay.
Thursday, July 07, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
ah yes, baby books! D has three (one bought by me and two given as pressies when he was born). For a while I did indeed keep up details in all three such as first word, dates of teeth breaking and so on. S has one baby book and it's erm, pretty much empty :-)
Luckily we do have plenty of photos and my very graphic account of their daily lives for the past year or so on my blog!
Yes, we have a lovely book somewhere which has P's new born ankle tag taped in it - and nothing more! P had slow weight gain for the first four months and all we were interested in was the horrid red book with its charts. We never got back to it. Ho hum.
Never did anything at all for Leo, though we did try hard to take some baby photos!
And then we didn't do it after all, even then. Maybe today... all the stuff is with the book, so it would be easy enough.
Nic - it's amazing the sheer quantity of photos isn't it? We got our first proper digital camera (as opposed to webcam) when F was about 6 months I think, and that was it.
Oh Allie I sympathize about the red book, because of the brain damage F suffered, her head circumference measurement became this dreaded thing. Horrid.
Well, glad I'm not the only one with a nearly empty baby book!
Still might try and do it with her though, talking about all the things going in.
Ali
Post a Comment