Thursday, August 18, 2005

Getting better

HE:
On our trip to my mum's, F correctly identified that fellow-passengers were speaking Spanish and recognized the numbers 1 to 5 when they were singing some kind of counting song! On one of the station platforms we saw 2 seagulls having a fairly spectacular fight close by, and talked about why - territory/food/breeding etc. At my mum's, there was a number balance scale and F was pretty good at knowing/working out which numbers and number combinations should balance. Have also noticed more sounding of letters or lettering of sounds. There has been other stuff, but I've been too ill to notice, she said in Victorian heroine swooning style.

Life:
We had a weekend at my mum's - quite restful for me and I managed to sort out her internet/e-mail at last, and even put my blog in her favourites (!) so, er, "Hi Mum!" *waves*

F enjoyed her time with her grandma, though she got a bit sugar-wired at times. Lots of different toys and items available to her, which she thoroughly enjoyed, too.

Then we came back (train travel with F is really not too difficult any more, she's past that age where it was hardest and is now quite a fun and reasonable travelling companion a lot of the time) and got ill almost immediately, although we were not too bad on the first day back, when we went over to Eastbourne to the new Occupational Therapist. New OT seemed nice enough, a bit less warm/affectionate than Physio lady, but pretty good and well able to listen to F and take time with her, so that was good. Basically her opinion was that F is doing very well and to just keep encouraging and providing activities that have to use two hands, so that she has to use her right hand - e.g. bead threading, cutting with scissors, and some that we already do quite a bit of, like lego, clay, etc. She was gratifyingly impressed by F's shape recognition, colours, numbers, verbal ability, etc. which was kind of nice. F and I enjoyed the wide range of weird texture items she had to play with too. We will be going back (wonder where I've put the appt card!).

Coming up we also have introductory meeting with Community Paediatrician (sp?) tomorrow, and also (uh-oh) a jab appt. next week. We were going to go to my dad's this weekend, but have had to cancel due to our infectiousness - dad was in hospital earlier this year, don't want to take any risks.
I had a birthday, in the middle of feeling shite, had excellent prezzies and lovely card made by J and F. Prezzies included White Stripes DVD and Coldplay CD, some books I'd wanted and a USB memory stick. All of which have already been enjoyed/used as appropriate.

Today Nic, Davies and Scarlett came over and much fun was had. Today it seemed F and Davies played well together and Scarlett may have been a bit left out, I think, in hindsight. For me, to hear F suggesting play ideas to Davies with some confidence today was great - she is really getting used to Davies and Scarlett and enjoys their visits a lot now. Well, they are, let's face it, lovely kids! I would have loved a friend like Davies at F's age, full of ideas and interest in life, able to carry an idea through into action and then vary it too. The interactions between the three of them are generally improving all the time (ooh, I sound strangely clinical there! weird).
Nic and I seemed to have quite reasonable amounts of time to chat. I was slightly distanced by Nurofen Cold and Flu but I think/hope I managed to converse fairly sensibly (or not, where appropriate).

And since recovery is slow, I'm going to end there.

Lowlights: Splitting headache this morning

Highlights: Birthday cosy time with J and F, Socializationness with Nic!

3 comments:

a said...

Yes - looking forward to ditching the buggy and the bag of nappies next!
Thanks for the birthday wishes.
I'm amazed that the train was cheaper than driving though, that's good going.
I'm looking forward to more train trips now that they are relatively easy with F being easier to travel with too.
Ali

Dani said...

Hi,

Our train trips are suddenly a breeze, now that both children can read. I remember gazing in complete envy about five years ago at a family with two big girls sitting silently reading on the train, while we struggled with our manic toddler and hungry baby, and endless bags, buggies, etc. Now that's us!

btw, did you know you have disappeared from the blogring? - took us ages to remember your url to check you were still around!

a said...

Hi Dani, yes it's nice to get to those points that you previously envied. I was always amazed to see mums sitting chatting in the park, seemingly uninterrupted, while their older children ran around doing things without requiring attention every 2 minutes. And now, yes, that's me! Love it.
Yes I know I've disappeared off the blogring, I haven't been very active blogwise, maybe that's it, very touched that you and Alison have managed to get here regardless - thanks! I'll contact Jax at some point if I continue to be invisible!
Ali