HE:
Interest in sounds/letters/words is on the upturn again. I fully intend to buy a laminator and use it before the month is out, as I actually have funds this month and by now many many ideas for its use. People alphabet, for instance, and a calendar.
A bit of rhyming and sound-alike play too.
Track building, playground designing - including problem-solving.
Jigsaw puzzles and imaginative play.
Life:
We returned to Music and Movement - F seemed to really take to the new older level class, I think, even though she is one of the youngest ones there. They're a nice group, on first look, and friends we had started to see back in Spring/Summer were there, so we've already got a new social arrangement to add in to our calendar. It was weird to realize that some of the children there would be starting school, on a part-time basis at least, any day now. The session is right at the end of the day, so even I can get to it on time, and do some shopping beforehand.
That was Tuesday afternoon.
Wednesday, my mum came and looked after F while I worked, then shopped, then cleared the kitchen. F had a lovely time, as always with her grandma, including some dam-building in the sandpit which looked fun. My shopping was not so successful but it was great to be able to do it without a small bored person.
Thursday: Nic, Davies and Scarlett came over. I was completely unprepared in terms of anything of the houseworky type, but Nic convinced me that didn't matter, so I was fully able to enjoy a good chat, while the children played around us - her turn this week for the zooming-in zombie-approach experience of being surrounded and engulfed by all three at once, and yes, it was even funnier to watch than it is to be in, so I was highly entertained. Some very entertaining conversations we had too, delving into our pasts and our non-parenting lives, such as we can claim them to be! Among other things, we talked about relationships in general and specific ones we had been in/out of or close to. Also talked about HE (no, really, we do sometimes!) and becoming official, in age-of-child terms. And now Nic and her family will be on holiday for a while, so *big welcome back wave* to you when you get back, hope you all had a lovely time. Still can't get to your blog and quite a few others, so will probably have to put aside a week to catch up when they reappear, given your prolific rate of column inch production!
The children made a proper, old-fashioned mess outside on the patio, as all beautiful anarchists will, given time and mud. Not sure which of them decided throwing mud at the house/windows was a good idea (probably F), but might have to veto that particular variant. Laughed at myself, for having set them up a big box of water, sparkling in the sun, for them to 'discover' with beautiful shiny things to play with, 'like treasure' I fondly suggested to Nic - 10 minutes later - of course a black swamp with not a sparkle in sight. That showed me! And they all got beautifully dirty too. Play was very happy on the whole, with only a couple of minor 'moments' I think. F loves their visits, she is delighted whenever I tell her they're coming. Nic and I continue to discover things we have in common, and things we don't! Makes for good conversation.
Friday: Mandy from over the road came across for a cuppa, with her twins Thomas and Suzanne - more nattering for me. F was very good with the twins, who are just gone 18 months, walking, clambering and starting to talk. F did well at bringing them things and communicating with them. They shared several good giggles. Mandy and I talked about how little housework we do, which was immensely enjoyable, though I think her excuses are at least twice as good as mine. She's good, relaxing company and I really must see more of her, especially if F enjoys the twins' company as much as she did today, entertaining them, etc.
Today: My turn for a lie-in, then we went to the new library, which was really good - much bigger and better than previous incarnation, got lots of books for F, and a couple of DVDs, including another Thornberrys one that we haven't seen before. For me I got a parenting book on potty training (Oh Joy of Literature!) as that is my priority for the latter half of next week. After the library we went for a pizza, which was lovely, then came back here and watched a Dr Who with our special duvet of protection on the sofa. F fell asleep soon after and I had a nice bubbly bath and a read. Lovely, thanks!
Highlights: bubble baths, having funds, pizza out, new local things, friends.
Lowlights: the morning I happily embarked on a jigsaw puzzle with F and we fell out big time over it about 10 mins after starting - grim!
Quote: 'Why have you stopped?' 'Because I was moving'.
Sunday, September 11, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment