Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Mrs Miniver and Doctor Who

Would they have got on I wonder?
F has finally got to the age where I can occasionally watch a black-and-white film all the way through, and sometimes she even gets interested and watches and chats about it. So she has recently learnt a bit about the Second World War, via 2 great old films: Mrs Miniver and The Way to the Stars and our conversations while watching them. We also talked about the plots and characters, how the films work. I love that kind of chat, more about inspiring/encouraging thought than imparting fact, but some basic factual stuff in there too. A bit of social history. She was asking who the baddies were and why, so that immediately leads to all sorts of discussion topics, before you know where you are... I couldn't really describe the ordinary German soldiers as baddies, in blanket terms, but decided Hitler was definitely one.
We also recently watched the old film Titanic, the one with Barbara Stanwyck, and discussed that too, including looking up some stuff on the internet afterwards.

On Saturday we went to Monster's party, which was a really good one. F (in 'Rose' costume including Union Jack drawn freehand by me!) and I set off late and managed to miss our train from Lewes, which meant we wouldn't manage to meet up with 3 other families from MMs at the right time. Several attempted phone calls later we established that they had kindly decided to wait to meet us and get the next train from Brighton.
Which we did.
Mr and Mrs MT had really gone to town on decorating the hall - particularly the golden dalek and the Dr Who pictures covering the walls.
F spent a lot of the time with L from MMs, they wandered around hand in hand and got together with Teeny to explore the dustier dirtier areas of the outside. They did quite well at Weeping Angels (Musical Statues) and not badly at K-9's tail, but didn't actually win anything - still they were greatly cheered to hear that there were sweeties for everyone in the 'Goody Tardises' to take home.
F had her face painted, complete with glitter, by Ros, who was kept busy all afternoon doing a great job.
Mrs MT was on good form, what with cleavage and comedy falls from behind the stage curtains. The cakes looked lovely, liked the sparkler on the dalek one. Generally, the kids had a great mixture of a bit of organized stuff and a lot more running off to do whatever they wanted, which always works well.
F has been doing a bit more reading, especially in I Am Not Going To Read Any Words Today which she seemed to like.
My laptop charger died and I had to arrange getting hold of a new one fast as I was in the middle of some work, which meant we couldn't go to MMs yesterday. Luckily Jack has started working as a courrier in London, which turned out to be very useful!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

missed you at MMs yesterday!!

must correct you there - it was after dirty phonecalls! ;)
and yes we were kind werent we! tho we all know you were deliberatly late coz you didnt wanna get the train with us ;)
and who fell over? i didnt see any comedy falls on the stage?!

a said...

Mrs MT - she was showing off!
Missed being at MMs too, very annoying.
I only didn't want to get the train with you cos I knew you would attract dirty phone calls.