Saturday, July 17, 2010

July so far

I stuck 2010 in the norty corner and told it I expected better after the halfway point and so far it has done a good job of pulling its socks up.

We had F's birthday celebrations, the main part of which was in early July, a week before her birthday. She had asked several months ago to have swimming, pizza and a night in a yurt, so that was what we did. We went to the Pells Pool, meeting up with local friend C and family, plus Nic, with D and S. I do love the Pells, it's freezing but gorgeous and I love hanging out and picnicking on the grass between swims. The day started all cloudy and grey but by the afternoon, when we arrived at the pool, there was sunshine, which lasted enough of the time we were there. In the morning I had made 'pakes' - these were small individual sweet pizza bases, onto which the kids were able to put their own toppings (all F's idea, but I think I did quite well at making it reality) - I took chocolate spread, jam, white chocolate mini-cube things, hundreds and thousands and raspberries. Mango also became involved along with a few fresh green peas introduced by one adventurous child! Tasted quite good, oddly.
Had quite a bit of swimming time and a bit of chatting time, though not enough of that. At 4ish we headed off to Pizza Express, also with C and family, to meet J's mum there and have pizza. Was very good too. 
We popped home for 40 mins or so, picked up sleeping bag and various items and C turned up with E to take us to the yurt that I'd booked. I was in the yurt with the 2 girls and C and baby D were in a small tent just outside. The yurt here was absolutely lovely - a very safe comfortable campsite, perfect for this purpose. F and E played on the swing hanging from a tree nearby, played various running around and hiding or catching games, and generally had a great time. C and I had a cup of tea and sat at the picnic table, we played Pictionary and Time Travel with them just before bed, then F and E read for a bit, side by side with their torches in the big bed. There was a wood burning stove in the yurt, but it did get chilly for me in my sleeping bag in the small hours - in the morning we realized there were extra blankets in the chest of drawers - how civilized.
We had a leisurely morning there, with the girls carrying on playing their games and also putting together maps of their imaginary worlds, before heading home via a local bikers' cafe for lunch.

On F's actual birthday, our day started with her and me going to Kids' Club, where I was on rota duty - the kids were making sherbet, chocolates in moulds and cakes. Enjoyable chaos ensued and several of the kids ended up with a mask of chocolate and/or flour in hair and/or handfuls of icing sugar consumed! Was a great fun session for F's birthday, and for me doing rota duty - though pretty much non-stop washing-up! Josh, the playworker, is absolutely excellent and they are a nice bunch of kids. Having said all that, I really don't want to continue taking F to it in September, I could do without the early starts and buses and then having the 2 hours in Btn. Have other plans for Tuesdays and/or free time envisaged. This term we have hardly been to it, as we've been on various trips with local group, plus had some illness.
After Kids' Club, F and I met J and went for some food at Wai Kika Moo Kau and then on to cinema to see the new Shrek film in 3D. Thought it was OK, some funny bits and sort of what you expect from a Shrek film.
Back home F opened her main presents. I gave her some books of recipes for making bath, beauty and skincare products - the present was not just the books but the commitment - we're going to do a recipe every week, starting with bath bombs. Might do that on Tuesdays in fact.
J gave her a digital photo frame, loaded with some photos to start with, and a really good chemistry set, which we're all looking forward to play with. He also got her some books she'd asked for and I got her 2 more of the Basher science books: maths and chemistry.

Other stuff we've done in July so far:
Forest School and F going back with E to E's grandma's for the afternoon. They whittled spreading knives from sticks.
Had paddling pool out.
Old friend popped by unexpectedly one Sunday.
Went to local group a few times, will be meeting in parks instead from next week, for summer.
A shopping trip (me and F one Friday) a nice outfit for her celebration day, plus presents for her friends, and we went for a drink and snack too. I sewed straps on to her dress and added beads as requested.
Baking - made a very successful lemon drizzle cake from this recipe with a bit of adaptation. F has now decided we are going to make a cake every month and has written a schedule out for us, with different flavours of cake for each month!
F's at her friend's tonight for a party and sleepover, from this afternoon to tomorrow afternoon, with camping in friend's garden included. Also paddling pool and trampolining I think. This is another date in F and E's highly planned Summer Festival, which goes on to the end of August I think, with various events, about one a week or so.
Have had lots of good chats and cuddly times with F including conversations about the parts of speech and about various design features of cars from different periods, after seeing a 60s campervan and a 40s car on the same walk to town.

1 comment:

Allie said...

All sounds lovely x