Tuesday 29th May
Freya and some friends had their last writing group session and I had suggested all going to the pool afterwards, while the weather was still good enough.
The writing session seemed to have gone well and plans are being firmed up for some form of continuation.
These are 2 poems Freya wrote at the group sessions:
Squirrel Committee
On Monday
I found a fallen acorn
The bottom was smooth and shiny.
The top was bulgy and rough.
On Tuesday
I found an old dead robin
I took it to a tree stump
and covered it with leaves
and pretty flowers
On Wednesday
I found a beautiful star leaf
flushed with orange and pink
on one side...
a stern and steady frame
on the other...
On Thursday
I found a big brown bull
with big creamy brown horns
and a big saddle-shaped patch on its back
I named it Scotland
I loved that cow
On Friday
I found an owl's feather
in an old hollow tree
It was brown with white
On Saturday
I found a family of foxes
in a hole in the ground...
Stripes on their tales
1, 2, 3 males
6 were female
On Sunday
I moved back to the city
I set off for Department Stores Inc.
filed my report
so that little family could save squirrel committee!
***
What is the Word NO?
It's the final boundary
When you are almost at the top of the tree
It catches you
and refuses to set you free
One quick word...
and the leader now has spoken
your spirit is strong
But all your hopes are momentarily broken
***
I think they're really good, am all proud :) I do like her voice and the ideas she expresses.
Oh, while she was in writing I had a bit of time and chatted with S over a cuppa, was all very leisurely.
Then we headed over to Pells Pool again, joining 3 other families and ended up staying ages, as it didn't get quite as horrendously busy as Friday had, being slightly less hot. Was just a perfect afternoon really, adults chatting lazily, fruit eaten, swims swum, ice-creams slurped, cartwheels spun on grass. I felt I was storing up lovely memories.
Wednesday 30th May
Freya went to Forest School. I went into worky work mode and worked and am still mainly working but not as intensively as yesterday. I took on 2 urgent jobs this week, glad to have them as need to be earning a lot at the moment.
Freya came home excited about 'bubblebugs', which turned out to be cuckoo spit bugs.
Today 31st May
Freya has her friend L for a sleepover tonight, so far they have hung out, chatted, giggled, looked at more bubblebugs, looked at Scratch games and now about to play Animal Crossing on Wii pretending to be GameCube I think. Oh they have also had a successful mission to the local shop to buy cow's milk, juice and treats, coming back the 'poo lane' way and having adventures such as looking at the goats, encountering jumpy dogs (boo!), being said 'hello' to by walkers and missing the entrance back into our garden first.
Other than that, Freya and I have been reading Five Go Off in a Caravan, much entertained at the thought of parents sending 4 under-13s and a dog off in 2 horse-drawn caravans for a holiday. Freya said if she did it she'd like me or friend's mummy C to be there in another caravan to do food preparation!
Going to stay up and work a lot tonight to clear the decks even though one job isn't due till Monday, want to go into the long weekend with no work and fancy drinking wine in the evenings as opposed to staying sober to work.
4 comments:
I'd be proud too! I think they are fabulous - particularly like the 'On Wednesday' bit; lovely imagery :)
Layla
They are wonderful!
Thank you very much!
I particularly like the No poem. Has she thought of entering http://www.poetrysociety.org.uk/content/competitions/fyp/ ?
Post a Comment