Friday, May 31, 2013

Varmints, Elderflower Fields Festival, Magnus Volk's Mystery Machine

Oh no 2 weeks to catch up on.
Weekend 18th and 19th
A restful weekend - Freya doesn't like those, but I need them at least every 2 or 3 weeks! Eurovision on Saturday, and on Sunday I made a veggie crumble for dinner using carrots, mushrooms, red pepper, spring onion, leek, red onion, sweetcorn, courgette, kale, broccoli, almonds, pistachios, smoked tofu, fresh oregano and thyme, garlic and chilli, peanut butter and coconut. You know you are eating proper vegan food when there are more than a dozen ingredients.
Monday 20th to Thursday 23rd
Went to see this dance piece, Varmints, which we were a bit disappointed by, as it was very minimal and not enough range to it. The set was good! And we had chips after, so not all bad...
Mum's house sale went through, had a little cry.
F had Forest School on Wednesday and Friday Club on Friday - a workshop on Mindfulness, including chocolate meditation, holding ice-cubes, eating without talking and other 'being in the moment' things involving perception, awareness of what your senses are telling you, etc.
Straight after that, in the pouring rain we set off for the 

Elderflower Fields Festival

 






 




We were there from Friday to Monday, staying in a Unidome. Am really glad the rain stopped sometime before Saturday morning as it made all the difference.
The Unidome man was very welcoming and funny, one of those people who likes to connect with everyone. He also did some singing on the main stage on Sunday, when the picnic was on!

Our Unidome was pinky purple and lovely, though every bit as cold as a tent at night I think, and my sleeping bag was not up to such unseasonal temperatures. 
F's was better but we still were freezing at various times. Still the great thing about the Unidome was that as soon as the sun came out it heated up beautifully and had this clear perspex or acrylic top circle so whenever I was cold at night I could look forward to basking in bright sunshine inside it the next day. Very restorative the heat and sun.



Freya hooked up with her friends and they did quite a bit of climbing on the climbing wall, a few goes at the scoot'n'skate area, making carp kites at 'arts camp', various visits to stalls to purchase glitter tattoos, hot chocolate, popcorn, chips, etc. and a lot of roaming in the woods and the fields. The atmosphere was lovely, it felt very very safe and the lights and stalls and other little activity areas and artistic items in the woods made it seem quite magical in the evenings. So most of the time Freya had a lot of freedom, though there were times we couldn't find each other when we wanted to, but a bit more organization with phone charging would have sorted that.



I did a bit of writing and drawing and painting on the Saturday, and there was a mass picnic on the Sunday, with local items provided for all - the most delicious wild garlic pesto! Plenty of veggie and vegan food generally available, though I am so sick of the sight of the compulsory hog roast that appears at all Sussex outdoor events.
We got up early on Sunday morning to go to the cinema tent in the woods, to see Pirates in an Adventure with Scientists, which was fun, the earliness helped by hot chocolate and flapjack for me and smoothie and pain au chocolat for Freya. I saw a few bands, was enjoying one in the acoustic tent when their speakers suddenly stopped working, bit of a shame.
It was good to spend time with friends there too, and a small enough festival that I bumped into people I knew several times a day.










Since coming home from the festival, I have mostly been working, glad to have stopped for weekend now. Did help F make a photo-montage/collage thing:



And on Thursday we went into Brighton to see this:


Magnus Volk’s Mystery Machine
"Dark Squid, inc. brings you a shadow puppet steam-punk fairytale (with extra sea shanties) to delight the whole family. Witness the creation of Brighton’s wackiest invention the Daddy Longlegs Railway. Join Magnus Volk and the Sea Captain as they battle the waves of the Brighton shore in their iron-legged electrical tramcar."


Apart from that it has been a very quiet week, J has been ill and I have been tired and I think Freya will be glad when things are more active again next week!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Festival and dome look fantastic. Lovely colours.

Hugs for mum's house xx

Anonymous said...

What's up, its fastidious article concerning media print, we all know media is a fantastic source of information.

my blog post symptoms of panic attacks fear ()