Saturday, October 15, 2005

Par-tay!

HE:
I've finally got started on the People Alphabet (well, it did require the purchase of stapler and staples, a serious commitment!). The basic structure is finished, now to make cards for everyone we want to include on it, with names and photos, then sticky velcro squares in appropriate places and there you gope, which is how we say 'there you go' round here these days.
More looking at sounds/letters, including lots of LeapPad including a phonics one about olives (bizarre). Conversations about plurals, regular and irregular, dinosaurs, gravity, body systems again.
Some great drawing - she constructed something in the garden which she called Woodlouse Cottage (but I think she mixes up cottage with village, looking at the context of a couple of recent usages), then did her own map of it, a really good one, showing the river, bridge, desert, cafe and beach, all in the right places and with logical colours. I wrote the labels she asked for on all the features and we laminated it. And she did a drawing of her, me, J and Dozy Mog, a family picture, which I also laminated as it's her first ever really representational family picture, so we were a bit thrilled.
Two sevens, two weeks, seven days being a week, etc.


Life:
Went to the Doctor's, where F had 2 injections. She cried briefly and was given Smarties by the nurse. I saw the doctor and changed contraception to one I think I'm going to prefer. And also got serious steroid and antibiotic combination cream for my shredded feet. They're already improving too, which is making a difference to how I feel generally.
F is getting better and better at using potty, and has even had a go on the big toilet a couple of times. Getting more confident with it all the time.
We went to a birthday party today, where the children could be pirates or princesses and were given accessories accordingly. F joined in really well with the various activities and generally displayed social skills that she didn't have at the beginning of this year - this has really been the year of her social development coming on fast. She was completely at ease at this party, despite hardly knowing anyone there, and now has strategies that she uses successfully to initiate and propose activities to other children, mainly borrowed wholesale from D of MonsterTeeny, such as: 'come on you guys, let's...' and 'would you like to come and explore the... with me?', all of which seem to work beautifully with her peers. It's lovely to see. This time last year, and up to Jan/Feb, she wouldn't have had the confidence or the experience to do that.
The party was absolutely lovely, one of those blessed days, the weather perfect, so it was a garden affair, rugs, cushions, happy children, happy parents, wine, bliss. My friend had gone to considerable efforts to make it special, and it really was.
Might make it to cinema on Monday, we have half a plan, I think.

Highlights: party today; healing feet; F's continued and improving potty use.
Lowlights: injections and tears; not enough hours in the day.

No comments: