Saturday, October 22, 2005

Quacky Splashy and Stuff

HE:
F continues to show interest in letters, sounds and words, for instance describing how to write a letter 'B', rhyming words, asking about sounds. She managed to copy her name the other day, albeit in a rather unorthodox formation, but I suspect I'll keep the scruffy old envelope that it's on for a long long time. We are putting together a duck book, which she has half-plotted the story for, and done one picture for. It will have a small duck figure that is pushed through slots in the book to move from page to page (like a ladybird book we read at Grandpa's and another book seen on the Tweenies). And we have a folder that all the bits are in, so there! The duck's name is apparently 'Quacky Splashy' and he starts off the story in a pond, so that was just a blue page coloured in by F. Some sticking and text stuff to do next.
Study Dog; conversations about seasons, rain, vegetables and fruits. Lots of other stuff I can't think of right now.

Life:
Cinema – Went into Brighton on Monday to see the new Wallace and Gromit film, which we all enjoyed, although it was F’s first trip to the cinema and she was a bit scared in the last half hour, which led to her clambering around a bit between her seat and ours and trying to hide behind us. Her normal way of dealing with anything on telly that she doesn't like is to turn the sound off, so I think this was a bit hard for her. Feedback afterwards was that she did enjoy the film and the cinema experience as a whole, though, and I’m really looking forward to more family films through winter. The things we had planned for the rest of the day didn’t work out, but it was still a nice day on the whole.

J and I really want to catch Serenity (I’m a huge Joss Whedon fan and we watched all of Firefly in a few binge sessions back at the end of winter). We're planning on asking one of the girls next door to sit - they are very nice, seem responsible and their mum is a lecturer in childcare. They have offered before, and this might be the opportunity.

Potty Use - General success with toilet situations further afield has been the order of the day. She is getting the hang of telling me when she needs the toilet etc and of sitting on public and other toilets, although she is not keen on ours, but then neither am I, as it has a bit of wobble.

Music and Movement – On Tuesday, F was in full 'not really listening' mode for most of it, but Mrs Music and Movement seemed not to mind too much, and F did really enjoy being a grumpy big-step giant and a nervous cockerel by turns. She also had a good go at rhythm stuff. It's a lovely small group. Came away with another social arrangement for a couple of weeks time, to see Mandy and Madeleine.

Work – I had a big contract dangled in front of my nose, but it didn’t actually happen, so I’m adjusting to that, as it was rather chunky and tempting. On Wednesday, my mum came and was a real help, so that I could finish a job on time and have a bath as well – lovely, thanks Mum! F had a lovely time, though again was in a bit of a difficult mood, in terms of being rather changeable and stroppy about things now and then (in fact, as I write, I’m realizing she’s been a bit like that all week – hmmm). I have had a few very late nights this week, up till 3 about 3 times. But this weekend I have hardly anything I have to do - bliss.

Socializin’ – On Thursday we popped up to Katya’s where a couple of other mums and a total of 7 children were playing in various guises. I gave Katya some pictures of the birthday party last Saturday, and we came away with yet more social arrangements. It was interesting to compare notes briefly with someone there on experience of our children having physiotherapy and other aspects of the whole diagnosis/treatment procedure.

On Friday, MonsterTeeny visited us, arriving at such a respectable time that I was able not only to hoover but also to google (hallowe’en stuff) before they arrived. Again Ms MonsterTeeny and I were both tired due to similar circumstances as the time before, but I think we had some good chat. I felt very relaxed anyway. F was not at her best, maybe she’s coming down with something, I don’t know. What I do know is that suggesting the P.A.R.K. turned out to be a really bad idea, and led me eventually to use many words that also have to be spelt rather than said, after the children had steadfastly refused to have uncomplicated outdoor fun for a bit. And the sweet shop was closed! Grrrr. If ever I suggest the P.A.R.K to Ms MonsterTeeny again, she has my permission to spell anything she likes back at me.


Today we have sorted out half of our conservatory, got intimidated by the other half, retreated and closed the doors. Managed to fit our patio table in though - Result. Enjoyed looking through old photos in the big unsorted box.
Right, that's it for now.

Highlights: tidy half of conservatory; lie-in; enough work.
Lowlights: untidy half of conservatory; P.A.R.K; not enough sleep.
Quote: On telly, they have animals doing people things like talking and going on buses... It's just stupid.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

four days to go!! :-)