I know they say that some people 'can't see the wood for the trees', but here I have had trouble seeing the trees! It took my mum, visiting last Tuesday, to remind me how beautiful the copper beeches just round the corner are, on a reasonably bright day, they are absolutely stunning. And what was stopping me seeing them? Most of this year, for me, has been dominated by money worries and ill health, sometimes one, sometimes the other, and sometimes, like the last 2 weeks in November, both at once. Bastards. Anyway, I'm seeing the trees again, and that's a good feeling. And I think I'm going to be seeing them a whole lot more, the future looks brighter all the time. I'm getting a good amount of work, I'm doing it, I'm being seen as reliable and professional, so getting more work, etc. Eventually we will get there.
Things that F has done:
On finding that jumping beans contained little ball bearings, which she recognized from a little ball-bearing puzzle thingy (you know, where you tilt and jiggle it to get ball-bearings into the right holes), F was inspired to make such a puzzle herself. So she project-managed me, told me what materials to use, suggested possible sources (as in 'cut up that box, mummy, and use that bit for the lid'), weighed up and discussed alternatives, etc. And we have a plastic box with a lid stuck on, 3 ball bearings and some little card shapes. It doesn't really 'work', but it's still one of those projects that completely represents for me what autonomy is all about - she had to make a series of decisions, have her own ideas, etc. And she did, with complete confidence and absorption. That is what will lead her onwards in anything she wants to achieve.
Similarly today she decided to make a fish tank with a glittery fish in it, I helped her with materials provision and a couple of suggestions, but it's essentially her idea.
I love her projects - many of them are less material than these, but nevertheless have some of the same elements - consideration of a problem or idea, dealing with issues that arise when implementing it, sequencing activities, etc. Basically, thinking logically, applying theories, all that and more. Fab!
And if she was at school she might well be churning out the same craft items and 'makes' as 29 other children, guided step-by-step by the teacher.
F and I have also had conversations/looked at stars, moon, seasons, time, space. And another Cinderella Barbie has moved in with us, and they both keep losing their bloody shoes, which are apparently 'slippers', though why anyone would wear slippers made of glass I have no idea.
What else have I got to say?
Monster and Teeny came today - another nice visit, although we were all 5 of us poorly. The children peaked earlyish, using up what energy and patience they had, then the illness factor had them all tiring of each other a bit, leading variously to F doing a consumptive Victorian heroine impression on the sofa with her duvet - 'I am ill and I need to rest', D looking a bit tired but basically maintaining his good humour better than the other two, and S really having had enough and needing a big cuddle for a while before they left. Earlier, though, while still in good spirits, they had played really well in various combinations and altogether, with tent, spacehopper and other popular items. N and I had a good old natter, I think I moaned to her about at least a couple of things I wanted to rant about, kindly didn't inflict lentils on her this time with her pasta pesto, but did force her to eat a vegan truffle (rough-hewn from chickpeas by vegan martyrs with their ethically-acceptable fingernails) though I didn't actually check that she had swallowed it, so she may have hidden it in her sleeve or something. F wasn't in her most sociable mood, but still played fine for the first couple of hours or so. I couldn't remember where I had put the sweeties for the children after their sandwiches, so I had to give them what remained of my 'grown-up' chocolate stash!
We have our tree up but need some proper pins to get our lights how we want them.
We have purchased a lot of items of a Xmassy persuasion and are planning to purchase more when more money appears in the next week. Am really looking forward to time spent together, not working, relaxing and all that stuff. Family films, fire blazing, crackers, etc. Lovely!
And now, earlier than expected, my lists of 7 things as requested by N of MonsterTeeny:
7 things to do before I die
1. make sure everyone I love knows I love them
2. travel across Canada again (this time with J and F)
3. travel around Europe again (this time with J and F)
4. see New Zealand
5. write a novel
6. go in a helicopter again, preferably with glass floor and over somewhere beautiful
7. get fit one more time
7 things I cannot do
1. anything gymnastical of any kind
2. walk on ice without falling over
3. heights (of the ladder/cliff edge type, not helicopters!)
4. save money
5. drive
6. give up Pepsi (I know, it's disgusting)
7. find my daughter's socks
7 things that attract me to my spouse (I am joyfully unespoused, so you'll have to make do with the father of my child!)
1. his sheer integrity and honesty
2. his fairness
3. his creativity
4. his generosity
5. his kindness
6. his body
7, ask me in person and I'll mime it for you behind the children's backs!
7 things I say most often
1. lordy lah Miss F
2. Oh for fuck's sake
3. oh shitting shite
4. lovely
5. Do you need a pee
6. remind me later
7. when we've got some money
7 films I could watch over and over again
1. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2. The Wall
3. Dark Star
4. Shawshank Redemption
5. Les Amants du Pont-Neuf
6. The Rocky Horror Picture Show
7. Koyaanisqatsi
7 Songs that make me travel back through time
1. Anything from Rumours by Fleetwood Mac
2. American Pie by Don McLean
3. Silence Kid by Pavement
4. The Gunner's Dream by Pink Floyd
5. I saw an X-ray of a girl passing gas by Butthole Surfers
6. Which side are you on? (Greenham song)
7. Hey by The Pixies
Monday, December 12, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
splendid. :-)
chick pea truffle is behind the sofa cushion ;-)
LOL next time I'll hold your nose until you open your mouth then.
Post a Comment