Saturday, May 20, 2006

Randomly Bold with occasional Links

Friday
We went over to visit the MTs, which was good in terms of the visit itself, with Mrs MT restoring my sorely tested good humour, although the children were all on the fractious side at points I think. D and F put on a show at some point, but it was pretty much incomprehensible, although there was clearly a degree of cooperative organization involved so three cheers for that. But on the journey there and back, F was an absolute PITA, culminating in the second to last train journey when she lay on the floor under the seats and variously kicked at and patted or bashed another passenger's seat several times. So I had to get even crosser than I already had been, which was very very tiring, frankly, and not such a nice end to the week.
She didn't improve much the rest of the way home so I was still exhausted and fed up enough to not have my eye on Dozy Mog on the walk from the station, and so he/she got left in the local shop when I was buying curry. Mind you by that time, I could easily have left F there, really!
Anyway we didn't realize he/she (Dozy Mog goes through occasional patches of gender fluidity) was missing until F's bedtime, so we just hoped that he had stayed in the shop and not been picked up. J said he and F would go over first thing in the morning (my turn for lie-in Sat. morning). I got quite misty-eyed thinking Dozy Mog might really be gone, she is such a character and seems like part of the family, coming out with daft claims like 'I hippo' and 'I piano' and 'I postmodernist' now and then and falling in love with trains because he thinks they're elephants and all. We would miss her. We do have a spare, but she hasn't had character build-up, and is a bit of a bland wussy cat. Fortunately J and F's rescue mission was successful. Not taking him out again for a bit except in my rucksack (I had taken her out to make room for curry!)
Right, breaking for Dr Who now.

Awwww Mickey stayed behind. Aaaah. That was a goodish one although evil geniuses are always really quite stupid. Next week's looks really good, tellies of badness and all that.

Anyway, what else -
F has been doing her Fantasy Land jigsaw with characters (birthday prezzy from Mrs MT). She can do the whole jigsaw quite easily now, but still isn't one of the most jigsawy people in the world, which is a shame because I am. She loves this one though, because of the little characters that you can use to tell stories on the jigsaw. So a lot more of that, with the princess and the witch and the dragon, etc.
Quite a bit of making of various books/pictures etc. - a 4-seasons picture (did a Homer Simpson there and thought 'mmm - Piiiiiizzzzza' with slight drooling effect, so that reminded me to go put potatoes in the oven - what I'd really like to eat tonight would be baked potatoes with Pringles, don't know why that doesn't appear on menus more often, could only be improved with a side of mash and chips IMO - yes alright I do like potatoes, and particularly potatoes with fat and salt, OK) - with clear pics showing seasons: a snowman and snowflakes in blue and white, brown trees and orangey piles of leaves, a yellow beach and blue sky, and green trees with pink blossom, all done on a round shape divided into quarters (oh no, here comes that pizza craving again...). All her own idea as usual, just something she decided to do and didn't need any help at all with. She even put the picture up on the fridge later using magnets, along with some writing she asked me to do about seasons/summer and a few other related pictures. I was impressed with how clearly her pictures indicated the seasons, through use of colour as much as anything - lot of thought in it.
Some magnetic mosaics of Her Little Ponies using a new magnetic mosaic kit that I one-clicked last week - this disposable income thing! I don't know! Never get used to it!
Playing with the ponies on their amusement park thingy (disposable income to blame here too, and also for a new sandpit arriving sometime soon - J's finger did the 1-click on that though, tsk tsk).

Saturday
I had my lie-in and heard the successful return of Dozy Mog and just read in bed for a while this morning.
Went into Brighton on the bus to meet Mrs MT so that we could go to this in the Spiegeltent. First though, we had to take the children's noses round the Lush shop for a bit, where bath bombs, among other things, were purchased.
The show was pretty good, D and F were right at the lower end of the age range for which it worked, but even F sat and listened and laughed a bit. D enjoyed it more, being a good 10 months older, I think. The guy was good at bouncing off the audience and going off on a tangent and getting nicely surreal with imaginary cows, origins of orange and similar. I suspect he will be even better in about 4 years, as his wife is currently pregnant and he will understand children a lot more, I imagine. Not that he was bad, he did pretty well and kept us all entertained for over an hour.
This year we are actually getting to events in the Festival for the first time since having F, really. This is our 3rd event this year and I'm hoping to make it 4 next week, all free except today's. It's wonderful how easily now we pop into Brighton on the bus, it's been a big change for the better, ditching that buggy. And Brighton has so much to offer, I'm glad we live close enough to do that. We have gone into Brighton or via Brighton more than once every week over the last few weeks, I think. It's so easy now! And £2.80 for a ticket that can be used for our journey there, any journeys in Brighton and our journey back.
After saying bye to N (if I call her Mrs MT too often I find that, in my imagination, she starts to wear a blue suit and a floppy bow thing and go privatizing everything including me and sending people off to the Falklands and that was tiresome enough first time around) and D, we went over to the Phoenix where I used to work as Office Manager, to have a quick look at the current show and to meet Jack for a quick chat and to arrange him coming over in a couple of weeks.
After that we popped round to Mr and Ms B's (ex-neighbours from when we all had separate flats in a big house in centre of Brighton and stayed up all night and watched Neighbours twice a day sometimes - oh heady youth!) where, sadly, the laydees of the house, C and E, were out buying bridesmaid's dresses. However, arrangements are afoot for them all to come over one day next weekend, so that's good. F did a bit of rather scribbly drawing while we were there. R was playing on the puter very competently. Mr B and I chatted about work mainly.

And generally I have been:
working too much - not going to take another job this month, I have one more quite large enough one already booked in but not going to take any new jobs till June now, have really overdone it in last 5 weeks or so really.
hanging out on one of my favourite message boards, highly recommended for anyone who is interested in Big Brother on something a bit more than the level of "So-And-So is FIT & I thnk he shld shag Such-And-Such cos that wd B kool". I get extremely into BB, which I blame partly on the sociolinguistic appeal and partly on sheer curiosity about people and how they interact/fail to interact really. My first ever real-life meeting with Internet nutters was with the lovely mad people from the blue and yellow message board of BB1, when I was pregnant.
And that's it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

pmsl at the Mrs MT thing, hadn't realised what image the initials would conjur up but as you can imagine I am not altogether displeased with that one ;-)

Thanks for today, we really enjoyed it and I agree with your round up about him improving with age and fatherhood. D particularly liked the surreal cow -ness of it and was recounting large chunks of it to A in the car on the way home. :-)

Allie said...

That's a mega catch-up! I think that child 'do-dahs' on public transport are an education for the childless. I always think at least you aren't trying to drive the vehicle while child is stropping, as car drivers have to!

I understand about the Dozy Mog thing. P's beloved bunny Beatrice once spent the weekend in Forfars. We were all moved to tears during that day. She is actually Beatrice number two, after number one was stolen in the park when P was four.

Comedy thing sounds like it was good. I was on a rather odd walking tour of Brighton at the time called 'Brighton Back Passages', which wasn't as exciting as it sounds.

a said...

It was fun Nic, I had a feeling D would get most out of it and also that F would enjoy it more for having good company such as his.

Allie - yes I think several of the childless on the train were definitely more educated when they got off than when they got on. I imagine they probably headed straight for Superdrug's family planning dept for a start.
Brighton Back Passages - such a promising title!
Awww Beatrice II, and Beatrice I. So glad you got Beatrice II back, I bet she had fun in Forfars - worse places to have a weekend adventure in, wouldn't mind if J left me there by mistake one weekend...
Ali