Thursday, December 09, 2010

Busy day out

F and I got up early today, 8ish. And caught a bus into Brighton at just gone 9 as we had free tickets to Robin and the Big Freeze. On the way over, it was so sunny that F could see her own shadow in the back of the top deck going along the verge and the road.
We enjoyed the show, some fun audience interaction, on-stage snowing and good puppet work and songs. I liked that it wasn't bland and took a few risks, with positive characters expressing negative emotions (anger, loneliness, selfishness) strongly and clearly and with no instant solution, though everything wrapped up happily in the end. 
A few local home-ed friends had also come and sat with us, and we went on with some of them to the museum for hot chocolate and snackage.
Then F and I managed to lose over an hour mainly playing with zoetropes in an excellent exhibition about colour, images, film, etc. Strips of paper were supplied to make your own 'films' for the zoetropes there, we sat for ages trying things out and F did a good snowman one. Really enjoyable and fascinating to do.


There was a lot more to look at in the exhibition, we'll try and go back I reckon - I really recommend it if you're interested in the history of film and television, colour, light, etc.
F filled in a feedback card saying she'd loved making the zoetrope films and suggesting an improvement too!

lt was later than I'd thought when we left, so we were late heading back on the bus to go to C's house. After getting off the bus, F managed to get mud all over her trousers, which I was annoyed about.
F, E and M did quite a bit of writing and painting, I had coffee and biscuits and chat. Had a lovely afternoon there and enjoyed little D showing me he knows what various animals' names are.

Very chilly walking back down, J did chips, beans and burgers for dinner.

All in all a lovely busy day well spent.

1 comment:

Allie said...

P and various other home ed teens have been involved (long term project over several months) in working on some of the interpretive material for that exhibition. I think P is in a listening post or something. I haven't actually made it to the exhibition yet! It's been a brilliant learning opportunity for her.

Glad the show was good. I was impressed at the offer of tickets.