Friday, February 07, 2014

Adjusting, That Bonnet is Mingin'

Slowly adjusting to life and home without Fidget, miss her voice lots, she only had the one word, quite strident and not pretty, but she used it to great effect. Miss her sweet pushy head too and her enjoyment of times when J and I were watching a film or a couple of episodes of something and she could visit each of our laps in turn.
Bless you little cat x

So 
Sunday Freya had Fencing, which seemed fine, and I got to have a proper good chat with M, much appreciated.
Monday Freya had Geography, I have realized I keep taking her half an hour early as it's changed, oops! Will try and remember...
And she had Aerial in the early evening, and playing at N's in between. While she was at Aerial I took the laptop to the library - that hour is proving surprisingly productive, I should work in a library more often! My deadline was Wednesday this week and I was well on track so a nice stress-free job.
Tuesday was Creative Writing - did we watch a film afterwards? If we did, it was Tootsie. Also I think that's when I picked up Fidget's ashes from the vet. We will plant a garden remembering her when Spring is here.
Wednesday Forest School was cancelled, so a leisurely morning, not sure what we did - probably Freya was doing her magazine. She has done 4 issues so far, monthly magazine, this month's featured an installment of a story, a poster, a word search, an interview with a friend about her house, a page of riddles and a commemorative page for Fidget, among other things.
Thursday a lazy start, lot of rain so taxi up to Dance, and Freya spent time afterwards in town with D and J, as Art was cancelled. I had a nice chat with CC in the meantime. Oh Freya came back from town on the bus on her own and dealt really well with various elements of that that required a bit of thought. Was pleased to see her safely home as it was getting dark by that time. Gave her a quick tea then we headed out for her to go to Guides. I had book club prep to do, which ended up making for a late night up for me, but worth it in the end. Guides was about Switzerland and they had chocolate!
Today (Friday) Book Club - our historical fiction section, a good level of engagement, reading Street Child (story of how Barnardo's was started, sort of - bit pedestrian, quite harrowing, good details of Victorian London and life on canals) by Berlie Doherty, The Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman (excellent imaginative writing, lots of detail of rural Medieval England, feisty female character) and A Traveller in Time by Alison Uttley (hard vocab but worth it if possible - Tudor politics).
We also looked at extracts from Pride and Prejudice and Sapphire Battersea in detail for some comprehension work in smaller groups and had fun with producing a modern version of an extract from Pride and Prejudice - in the original Lydia is talking about not having enough money to buy treats for her sisters and having bought a bonnet that she isn't sure about. In the girls' versions, the money became variously cash, dosh and dough, and Lydia had bought a hat that was not so cute, or even mingin' but she was going to customize it to make it wicked.
We're now going on to look at some authors in-depth, starting with J K Rowling next month.
After Book Club, Freya and I had a bit of shopping to do and also paid the bill at the vet's and picked up our cat box :(
Arranged to take Rorschach in for a check-up generally on Monday.




No comments: