Friday, January 23, 2015

Rollerdisco, Chemistry, Physics, Ed Ed, Reemergence of Forgotten Invoice

Another week

Weekend 17th and 18th
Freya went to rollerdisco with a friend, first time in ages. Her skates are too small though so she had to hire a pair. She wore a light-up earring I got her for Christmas (well I got her a pair but she didn't wear one in the other ear as it was still healing, it's fine now though).
I sat in the sofa area and did Chemistry preparation - weirdly just as I sat down I heard the 2 women opposite mentioning the name of someone I know (used to know better but don't see often now at all). They then proceeded to gossip about this person quite a bit, it was quite a strange experience, I couldn't even hear most of it, but kept hearing the name of the person and her child come up and the start of statements like "Oh well yes she's all about the..." and "Yes but that's [name of person] for you, isn't it? She likes to..."
Anyway Freya had a good time at the rollerdisco and then we walked home.
Sunday we did the Chemistry that I had prepared I think - Metals and the Reactivity Series. 
I did some proper cooking - a nice veggie bake on Saturday with lots of different veg, accompanied by lots of different greens (really nice lavender kale was the best, not actually green but 'a green') and a risotto on Sunday, not done risotto in at least a year I reckon. Yummy!

Monday - Maths again - just today I saw Freya's big load of Maths homework from Christmas that has been marked and am having a PMM as she did really well with it. I remember her doing it and she did work hard and concentrate for ages - it covered quite a few different topics.
No Geography as the teacher wasn't feeling well. Aerial was OK I think. 
While Freya was out I went on the cross trainer and prepared lots more Chemistry and Physics. Then went to meet her at 7ish. Was a nice dry but cold night, so not bad waiting for her.

Tuesday we had a day at home and did more Chemistry and Physics. The rest of the Metals chapter for Chemistry (I am fascinated by some of our recent Chemistry, didn't retain much of this at or beyond O Level) and the end of Light for Physics I think, complete with interactive I found for naming of parts of eye and what they do. And some other stuff. It was good, we are officially 'on it' with Chemistry and Physics at the moment I feel.
Tuesday night, because I had prioritized science prep at the weekend and on Monday, I had to do a 3 day paid job in 12 hours instead of sleeping like what people do at night in a bed and all that. I managed it though, cunningly sneaking past the 4am slump trap with the help of chocolate mainly.

Wednesday we went over to spend the afternoon at L and the Rs' house, which was lovely. Was good to get there and relax, have cups of tea and nice food and chat. Freya and R played a board game and Minecraft and had pizza.
Got the bus back at a reasonable time too, so not too caught in traffic on way home.

Thursday Freya did loads of washing up, then walked up to Dance by herself to save me some time as I was engaged in making something a bit like samosas - made a big batch but I don't want to deep fry so they aren't texturally samosa-like, but nevertheless they work as a nice savoury snack, not too big. 
She had a good session at Dance - there are 6 of them again now, seems to be working well so far. Then at Art she was working on a Still Life and taking a detail to make into a different picture - I loved when we did that in Art, think we only did it twice in whole of school art but would have liked to do it more. Her shadows were good as she had observed them well and used more than one tone.
Before I picked her up I had a quick coffee (OK Chai Latte with soya, judge me!) with M in Costa, which was nice. Had also had a good chat with CC in the afternoon. Also had a nice surprise by e-mail when my agency found a job that I had forgotten to invoice for. This has happened before a couple of times but usually for amounts like 25 Euros. This time it was over 1500 Euros, so an amazing discovery. I know it sounds like I was extremely flakey to have forgotten to invoice for it, but I remember it was in a madly busy month last year and they forgot to send me a Purchase Order and when I was about to remind them, some more work came in needing an urgent reply. So woo and hoo and bully for me I think, definitely. At least I will be able to pay my tax by end of March.
Picked Freya up - she changed into Guide uniform as we found out this week that Guides apparently started 2 weeks ago! Hmmm communication errors...
Anyway she changed and we went out back to Costa for her to have a cheese toastie and then up to Guides. While she was there I had a nice hour and a bit with C. Also had Thai curry. All very good.

Today Freya had Friday Club with an Ed workshop (Ed is a guy from Brighton who has done a few good sessions) on the following themes:
"Throughout history people have travelled all over the world and with them they carry their stories, traditions and music. In this workshop we will look at the movement of people from the west coast of Africa across the Atlantic Ocean to Brazil. We will learn about the slave trade and how it has been so influential in shaping our modern world. We will experience this journey through playing West African drums and rhythms and then learn a bit about Brazilian culture playing Samba drums and singing the songs of capoeira. ( We may also talk about the journeys of Gypsys across North Africa and the development of Flamenco culture, and perhaps a little Caribbean reggae in the mix).  We will also have a chance to explore a little of the stories of how perhaps the Phoenicians and Egyptians had made that same voyage to the Americas thousands of years before Columbus and how now i too am planning to cross the Atlantic ocean in my own boat Moondancer next year."
While she was there I walked home, did some adminny tasks, went on the cross trainer and then walked back to pick her up. It is nice to have time to go on the cross trainer and to walk back and forth - well it is when it's nice sunny weather. Very cold though.
Going to have curry soon and tomorrow we are all going to theatre and taking J's mum too to see Return to the Forbidden Planet!

No comments: