Monday, April 06, 2015

Drama group, Superweeks Easter Egg-stravaganza, Imaginary Friends' Visit, Baby Nephew, Party, Easter

Oh no another big catch-uppy one.
Sun 22nd
Freya did some Chemistry and Physics practice papers (1 hr versions I had put together from various sources) and did OK. For dinner I did burgers, roast potatoes, salad (avocado, spinach, tomato, cashews, spring onions) with sesame dressing.

Mon 23rd
No Geography, and Maths was in a different place, so walked with Freya to there, then sat with friends in nearest cafe, which was nice, then back home with Freya for a couple of hours before going out again for her to go to Aerial. I waited in library doing some bits and bobs. Was a bit knackered as also had bought paper and lugged it around, very heavy. Did some preparation for my drama and script group, which was the next day.

Tue 24th
Drama group - really good session, very much enjoying it generally, focus was on the world of work, characters in workplaces, etc. They were all very engaged and imaginative and putting everything into it. We did an exercise where the 'supervisor' at a workplace can call out 'Customers!' or "Productivity is Up/Down" or "Shift change in x seconds" and they would change the way they were doing their mime accordingly being good workers, or bad workers in different ways.
Back home later, felt very cold and shivery, but J's pasta helped and a good hot cup of tea.
Did some revision cards with Freya - trying to do random 10 cards frequently (mixed Chem and Phys) - she got 75%
Watched zombies with J.

Wed 25th
Sunny day for Forest School, I got reasonable amount of work done in the cafe I think and Freya made a half-log bowl by charring the wood.
Not sure what else... oh I was planning to do an all-nighter with some work, but only managed half past two! LOL I is rubbish. Had got 85% of it done though, so knew I would get there by deadline of 4pm.

Thurs 26th
Freya packed her enormous suitcase, ready for her upcoming week away.
When I go away I always do minimum in a rucksack and pack at last minute, but Freya had a kit list supplied by the week away people and a suitcase and she did proper packing of it! I mainly just watched agog.
Then it was the usual type of Thursday with Freya going to Dance, then Art, then me meeting her and dinner out (cheese toastie) and then Guides, then home.
Them Thursdays is a right palaver innit though.

Fri 27th
Friday Club - I was on opening and closing duty, so had my usual anxious time with the alarm, hate that thing, and had already done it twice on Tuesday for my drama group. It was fine though, so am gradually getting less daft about it, but do need handholding!
The Friday Club was by this person about this book which we had only managed to get hold of the day before, so I had read to Freya on Thursday night, partly while she was doing more pre-going away stuff I think. It was very good, highly recommended for introducing children to thinking about the Holocaust. I would say 8+, not sure. Anyway yes it was good and I think she did a good session with them, using images, writing, drawing, a range of things that they were engaged with.
Came home while they were there, did a few bits and bobs, then went back to be there for closing, though didn't need to actually close, as the Nutty Wizard was being used for drama, so a lot of the group were staying for that, so just helped put table and stuff away and kept them company until Jolie arrived for that.
Did a bit of shopping for a few things Freya still needed - 'indoor shoes' (! you what?), new pants, a watch). Then went home again, as Freya was coming home by bus with L after drama, so I didn't need to come back again. Think I did some work, can't remember!
She came home nice and quickly so I didn't need to get to any worrying point.

Sat 28th
Set off to take Freya up to London to meet her Superweeks travel accompanying people: only a small group to go on the train to this 
She was away from Sat to Sat, so 7 nights, longest time she has ever been away from both of us like that. She had a lovely time and has told me all about it in great detail - it sounds fab - such a mix of imaginative and creative and fun stuff, including craft and games and ongoing imaginative things and things like creating a stall, as a team (dorm), for a fete that then took place at the end of the week, working as a team to come up with a way to make an egg travel safely as far as possible without being held, making up a short play, all sorts. Things in small dorm group, things in bigger groups, day trip to butterfly farm and maze, singing, hot chocolate and being read to, a long long list of interesting games of so many different kinds. Pretty special as holidays go. Got lovely notes from her 'monitor' too at the end. All very good. Am so glad she enjoyed it.
So while she was away, that first Saturday I came back to Brighton and met 3 imaginary friends from my lovely onliney place and we did our best with Brighton, which was failing to be sunny or warm and dry. Walked around the Lanes and the North Laine and visited Montezuma's and Choccywoccydoodah, looked at outside of Pavilion and a few other walking around stops. Then had early dinner at Terre a Terre, which was very nice, though they are slightly less vegan-friendly at the moment, it goes through phases. Had lots of nice dishes between us anyway.
Then we walked up towards the station and went to a pub for a while before parting ways.

Sun 29th
Next day I met up with one of the friends who had stayed over in Brighton, was originally going to be more of us, but one friend had had terribly timed outbreak of pukage on the Friday, so hadn't been able to come, which was a very sad thing :(
Still my friend Simon and I went to the Sea Life centre and had a lovely afternoon looking at turtles mostly. We went on the 'thrilling indoor glass-bottomed boat ride' on the boat called "The Ocean's Eye" - a small flass-floored raft that gets  pulled across the top of the big tank. Sounds so crap, but I really loved it! All that light and water, the beautiful turtles. I'm pretty sure it's not ideal ethically, but it is just so wonderful to see them. Hmmm... Anyway yes we spent the afternoon in a state of childlike wonder at it all, going through the tunnel a few times too.
 





Mon 30th
Went to see my friend Sharon in Hove, at her lovely new place - it's so nice, slightly narrow winding stairs go up to her upstairs all atticky, but at the same time very light and big windows everywhere, skylights, lovely. Had a good old natter, was good to see her.
Then back to Lewes, some adminny stuff I had to do, finally home and working.

Tue 31st March and Wed 1st April
Successfully ringfenced these 2 days to myself with minimal having to be anywhere other than sofa or see anyone other than J. Was good. Had tons of work to do so couldn't have my writing day or reading day, but nevertheless didn't have to do anything out in the world or with people, which counts as a good break.

Thurs 2nd
 Had a great coffee and chat with Allie Greenhouse at Baltica. Then back home carried on with work as had deadline next day at 12.
As the week went on I was feeling increasingly confident that Freya must be enjoying herself and not ill or homesick, though I still kept the volume up on my phone just in case. You don't have any contact with your child while they're away, so it's quite a thing. No news is basically good news, but when she did the New Year one, she had got ill and we had had a phone call, so we were half waiting for that to happen in some form. But no, all fine.
Stayed up till 4 to finish the work. Watched lots of Masterchef (well, half-watched) whilst working, also earlier in the week some Nurse, Poldark, Ordinary Lies and a few other things. And as a family we're enjoying Back in Time for Dinner.

Friday 3rd
Delivered the completed job and some files for an ongoing one, then packed and set off to visit my half-brother - I was going to stay there the night and see my 3-mth old baby nephew, who I hadn't seen since he was a bump back in autumn, and then go from there in the morning on daughter retrieval mission. It was complicated, basically, but my brother was so kind and helped with the retrieval mission, which was brilliant. Really wish we could have stayed much longer and not had the rush we had to have, but life seems to go like that.
Anyway I got the train there, had an OK journey though trains packed for Easter weekend of course. Had a fab evening, little nephew Owen is a really gorgeous smiley baby, was so nice to meet him. Loves his baths, had a fantastic splash about, discovering what he could do with his arms and legs, looked very excited about it all. Lovely to see Ian and Mary and have curry cooked for me and chill out too. Slept very well.

Saturday 4th
Next morning, poor brother and I set off early and found 2 wrong locations before finding the right one, with a bit of help from M, who was also on retrieval mission for J and D. Spotted her car while on phone with her so we followed and it all made sense then.
Lovely to have daughter back with me. Did lots of singing of songs she had learned, in car, including some requiring joining in. She had clearly had a fabulous time.
Back at brother's we had a delicious brunch and she met her half-cousin, which was lovely, before we had to say goodbye and catch a train.
The chief objective of the next part of the mission was to get to Worthing for a swimming party. Before Freya had left she had wrapped presents and written card for R and put them by my bedside with a note reminding me to bring them when I came, so I had (phew!).  On the train, Freya told me all about the whole week away, was great to hear all the details, loved the sound of it all.
We didn't get there for the swimming part of the party though, as the London Underground decided to delay every tube train we dared to get on, to the extent that we ended up getting off a few as they had just sat at stations for more than 5 minutes, then trying alternative routes to avoid the delayed lines and it all got worse and worse for a bit, with the time ticking away. We got to the point where we knew we wouldn't make it for swimming, but nevertheless we carried on and eventually did get there for Freya to join in the food stage and then playing outside afterwards at least. All Just A Bit Mad of us to attempt to get there I suspect, but it was nice to see people. We had company for the walk and train home too. Freya was brilliant with her big suitcase and pulled it almost all day especially on the awful tube saga up and down steps everywhere. Trooper!
And finally home about 7.30 I guess? A long day and tired us, collapsing on sofas with relief. Curry for me and J, pizza for Freya, The Voice (only managed half of the semi-final from the previous weekend, recorded while Freya was away).

Sunday 5th
J's mum came and heard all about Freya's holiday, we were all a bit shattered still really, but it was nice to see her and she brought chocolatey items!
More The Voice in the evening, felt very very long, did nice dinner of burgers, salad and mini roast veg: chopped potato, courgette, pepper, mushroom, onion, fennel, leek, tomatoes, with paprika and garlic. Mmmm.

Monday 6th



Went out to Arlington Reservoir with J's dad. Very nice day and was lovely to walk around in spring sunshine and hear and see birds doing their spring thing. Then Pizza Express for a nice late lunch.

Next, more work for deadline tomorrow, oh dear...




2 comments:

Michelle said...

Birds doing their spring thing means I wake up at 6am every morning! Not so great

The turtles at Bournemouth have weights on them as they have been hit by boats so couldn't balance and would not survive in the wild. They didn't have a raft but you could see them from above at the sides. Best bit is the tunnel for me though I suspect raft would be gorgeous too to look down to them.

a said...

Tunnel is still the best, definitely, love seeing them go overhead. One of the 3 turtles at Brighton had also been hit by boats apparently and had a bit of confusion as a result. Amazing animals to watch.
6am is not good, bad birds