Saturday, April 25, 2015

More work, Book Club, St George play, Guides Quiz Night

Sunday April 12th
Think Freya did Chemistry and Physics past papers, we have been doing full-length exam practice most weekends, trying to keep it up, definitely it is good to do, think she is getting used to the types of questions and can only be a good thing.
In the evening it was my online Book Club, but I was watching Interstellar too with J and Freya - really enjoyed the film very much. 

Monday April 13th
Freya had a bad cold (or possibly allergy) and so missed Aerial and only went to Geography.
Not sure what else we did - started my next bits of work I think as I had another heavy working week ahead - April has been extraordinary, would like more months like it.
Did some revision cards with Freya in the evening. They also seem to be helpful, must make some more this week.

Tuesday April 14th
Freya had writing group, I carried on with work, as suddenly had an urgent 1-day job to turn around, on top of 2 existing jobs for the week. I was also expecting a heatwave but it didn't quite appear.

Wednesday April 15th
Was lovely warm sunny day, day started with both having quick baths, then Freya doing a bit of writing outside, then her friend Kay-B coming over. They had a really good time together, went off into town later and had adventures with mud in the Railway Land, and went to park in the evening too. Was a good day, I worked and started planning stuff for Friday Club Book Club.

Thursday April 16th 
Walked Freya up to new English group (went well, tutor seems nice), then went to Baltica (cafe) where I had planned for her to come and meet me, and J meet us both at lunch time. Got to Baltica and sat down thinking I would work for an hour and a half or so till they came, looked around after a bit and realized no menus on tables - it had stopped doing lunches and proper food at all and is now just a coffee/cake type place. Such a shame, have had soup in there before now, and good houmous and sundried tomato sandwiches. So I went home instead, contacted J to cancel and met Freya at end of her class instead and came home.
More changes of plan as Dance was not happening after all, so a bit of juggling went on and M came round instead at that time. Then they walked off to Art together. I carried on working and Book Club prepping then went to meet Freya at 6 as usual for dinner and took her to Guides.
Had to stay up most of night working and Book Club prepping! Got 2 and a half hours sleep though.

Friday April 17th
Lovely book club, hardly anyone had read the books so we went more general and they each wrote a question down about books and then we had a nice leisurely discussion of all the questions, which is always a pretty good idea, with occasional diversions to films and life experiences. In the second half they then did making up film trailers for books of their choice in 2 groups of 5, trying to come up with a different version of the film to any that might exist, e.g. different genre. One group did a Famous Five trailer with high comedy and drama, and the others did The Fault in Our Stars as a musical. I think!
Anyway it was good fun, they are such a good group, love spending time with them doing that sort of thing.
Then most of them stayed for Drama (St George project they have been doing). I went home and didn't see Freya till Saturday as she went for a sleepover with J and D, where she had a lovely time.
It was good at home not to have to work on anything urgent for a bit! Had a slightly unsatisfactory not-as-hot-as-it-should-be bath and pottered and flopped. In the evening I think J and I had curry and cider and watched some Game of Thrones, which I have now managed to get into so am watching from the beginning, when I can manage an episode if not working or sleeping!

Saturday and Sunday April 18th and 19th
Had a super long sleep, bliss, and Freya was delivered back to us. Can't remember much about the weekend, Freya did more practice papers, improved on the previous week. I didn't do much but did a bit of work, on Sunday night I cooked a terrible weird dinner that seemed to combine soup with salad and roast veg, hmmm not too good.

Monday April 20th
Freya had new Maths tutor, and some of her group were wearing onesies for Geography and Maths I think, so put hers through a quick wash/dry and she took it with her when we walked to Geog.
Back home I did more work, had back doors and windows open, did washing and washing up and stuff. Went to pick her up after Aerial in the evening. Was a good day, got reasonable amount done.

Tuesday April 21st
We had a day at home, Freya did some homework and I did some work and we watched a film (Just My Luck)

Wednesday April 22nd
Forest School day, beautiful weather, had lifts for the worst bits of the journey so that was good. Enjoyed my strange cafe time - sometimes it's fine. Because the weather was nice, lots of people sat outside so it didn't get too crowded inside. I love all the dogs and dog people that come there. I got a reasonable amount of work done, felt quite productive, just a few bits I couldn't do due to needing the Internet.
Sometimes we don't get back till half 3 but we got a lift in the Starleymobile and were home about 20 past 2 I think!
Had back doors open again but was really trying to convince self it wasn't chilly by that stage. More work, mostly stayed up till 1 every day that week working, or a bit later.

Thursday April 23rd
Lots of changes of plans and things that were difficult and that kind of thing, not an easy day at all. Did not like it. Finished work in the morning and walked Freya up to her English, but rest of the day was just fiddly and twisty.
Freya had English, then went back with L for a while, then went to Dance, then Art. Then I picked her up at 6 and took her up to Guides where they did cooking of cheese straws and cakes for an event the next day.
At home was so tired, can't remember what I did, should have gone to bed earlier, or maybe I did.

Friday April 24th
Due to a mix-up I had put down for volunteer for Friday Club Science session but instead found myself volunteering at Green Woodworking - not my thing! But it was OK, M's mum C gave me a lift and moral support, much needed! I made the most of some gatekeeping duty time to sing very loudly and pace about thinking bad things about Tories, so time well spent. Nice to see everyone too and have lots of chats with people. Should have taken pictures but didn't. Anyway it was a lovely spot in the woodland, the Friday Clubbers made beads, which involved sawing, sanding, stamping, etc. and went on a zip wire until it broke, oops. 
Back in town, dropped Freya at drama, went to see my mum and take her some bits and bobs, she was OK, sat with her quietly mostly, bit of music on, showed her a few photos, had a cup of tea.
Then popped back into town and had half an hour in Waterstones with a book and a glass of cold lemonade! 
Then went to join other parents at the entrance to the Railway Land where we watched the drama performance - a lively, creative and highly entertaining Mummers' play style version of St George and the Dragon, with an election season spin or two to it, very good. I liked how it was done and the feel of it, funny, cool, mad, quite like Monty Python meets pantomime. They did great!
After that, Freya and I walked up to the Shanaz to meet J and have a lovely curry there. Delicious! 
Then to Guides Quiz night. Last time we went to one there were not many teams but this was better supported. And we came joint first! Which was a bit awkward as we were then given Jelly Babies as our prize but all being vegetarian, really wasn't any good, so then swapped prizes with the other joint winners but poor young boy in that team didn't want jelly babies so we gave them a handful of our Roses chocolates instead. I recognized the mathematical constant 'e', which was my high point I think. It was a good quiz, nice mix of Qs. Back home we watched the last "Back in Time for Dinner" - enjoyed that series, quite interesting.

Saturday April 25th
Freya and I went to the library so she could do a paper under exam-like conditions. In fact the library was noisier than home in many ways, but still she concentrated for the 90 minutes and I think the practice is really good in terms of how she is getting better and better at judging the timing. Today she had a go at almost all parts of all questions, so that was great, and also had some logical guesses at bits she didn't know and she got a good percentage (73%). Really pleased with how it's going. Less than 3 weeks to go, so a few more practice papers to be done and will also be making more posters and writing more revision cards. Need to focus on the bits that are hardest now I guess.


Sorry this is largely blah blah work blah blah revision support blah blah work blah blah cider. And no pictures, boo.

No comments: