Saturday, June 13, 2015

End of Exams

Weekend 6th and 7th June
Mainly a lot of Chemistry and Physics revision and making dinners from a very pre-payday fridge and cupboard - highly recommend veggie crumble for that, stick a lot of red lentils in for protein and season it with whatever you have got. Cheap and tasty and filling and good for you. So I did one of those on Sunday.
Think the revision work included going through the last of the past papers together, though I remember we did one on Tuesday too.
Also started watching Unbreakable Kimmy I think and J and Freya played Hohokum 

Monday 8th 
Geography and Maths for Freya, not sure what I was doing and then a bit of revision stuff later.

Tuesday 9th
Freya did her Chemistry exam in the afternoon. She was the only person in the room apart from the invigilator. The college has been really helpful and the atmosphere is quite relaxed there, which has been good. Afterwards we went to Grange Gardens for a while.

Wednesday 10th
Forest School. I had a really rubbish start to the day - put in contact lenses in hope of wearing sunglasses, then couldn't find any sunglasses! Then at bus stop a bird shat right on me - my hair and my shirt. Freya cleaned me up using leaves and did a good job except for a big lump of poo actually in my hair at the back, which I discovered after I'd been in the cafe for about half an hour! 
They made elderflower cordial I think. Rest of the day was OK, more revision - over the last 2 months or so we have used Bitesize, gone back over my Powerpoints, had summary sheets to read and done lots of past papers and practice questions.

Thursday 11th
Freya went to English but missed Dance and Art so that we could go see L. Was good to see her and we all had a short walk out to the park in the sunshine. Hoping she will be much better by the time PGL comes around in late August too.
Had a bit of travel/timing stress with journey home as buses were not good, but got home just in time for Freya to have quick dinner before she went out to Guides. I had a tiny bit of work to do. I had also been paid and had had some great public feedback from my main agency so maybe the bird poo had brought me good luck.
A little bit more revision.

Friday 12th
Freya's last exam Physics Paper 2. I sat and read while she was in - only 1 other person taking an exam in the room this time - it's been quite different to what we had tried to mentally prepare for, was imagining a big hall and her having to find her table and the stress of that, but it hasn't been at all like that.
She was able to start early so all over by 3.15 and we headed to Pells Pool, where although 2 of her friends were leaving, one was still there for another hour and a bit, so that was nice and the sun came out and I had a bench to sit and read.
Back home curry and cider.

Despite the exam-taking getting off to such a rocky start a month ago, with the seizure and spending half the night in hospital, after that it has all turned out to be really very straightforward and doable. I am really glad we have done it at the local college so haven't had to build any travel planning into the process, usually just walked there and stopped off in the park on the way back. This has worked pretty well for Freya I think. We have a rough idea what she will do next year, with just a few arrangements unknown.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

We went for a school in the next town as cheaper and friendlier than the school around the corner.

It has been a stress getting her there as only a 10minute drive, but as I can't drive at the moment, have had to use a variety of friends and taxis. So the local school would have been easier, but overall, the school we used have been so fantastic in all regards, letting her do the controlled assessment when existing arrangements fell through and being so friendly at all times.

I'm glad you had the local school in walking distance being so comfortable. :-). Perfick!

I haven't found the exam process positive though. I have realised that I am not up to the challenge at all. It's been my least favourite HE year. C's been lucky with friends and friends' parents helping her. She reckons she would have done better if she went to school. Not that she wants to go to school, she just thinks she'd get better grades if she was taught at school. Obviously that's her opinion. I don't agree with it but that is what she thinks.

Michelle said...

When I say I don't agree with her opinion that doesn't mean I disagree. It's all just depends on so many factors: there are excellent teachers, inadequate teachers, changes of teacher mid course.