Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Point me at the weekend and give me a push

HE:
F drew a 'B' today - our neighbours have their anniversary and since F and I had talked about it a bit after their girls borrowed a cake tin to make a surprise cake for them, we decided to make them a card and take a bottle of wine round. Both their names begin with B, so I asked F if she'd like to draw two 'B's in the card she made. She had a really good go, and was enthusiastic about copying the shape with the 2 tummies. In the end she had 3 tries and the final one was truly 'B' shaped, so that was cool. She's not overly interested in letters/words/reading at the moment, but I guess this was a good activity that didn't put her off.
When she was out for a walk with Jack, they saw a statue in a garden, and he made some comment about it being fired, which she didn't really understand, but she must have thought about it, as apparently, a bit later in the walk, she asked him if he meant that the people had set fire to their plasticine to make it go hard. He talked a bit about clay, kilns etc. Sure enough the next day there she was putting a big squodge of play-dough out to bake in the sun. Good scientific brain in action!
Lego has continued, alongside garden ed, mainly discussion of our strawberries which are starting to ripen now, talking about what water and light respectively contribute to them. And water play and getting me to write stories on the patio steps with lumps of garden chalk. And paint.

Life: I did my invoices today, and June really was a bumper month. Am hoping this continues, pretty much, as it will clear the debts at a reasonable pace if it can be kept up over the next year. We'll see, and in the meantime, like most freelancers, I grab the work while it's there. Nevertheless, the weekend coming up, I am keeping free at all costs, J has Friday and Monday off and I want us all to enjoy some time together properly. A local school has some kind of fete on Saturday so we might get along to that. They're a good small school - I would even consider flexi-schooling there, if they did it, which they might for all I know. Maybe I will find out. I think it was started by some home-ed parents a while ago.
My 2-weekly rolling schedule is underway in terms of social slots and the next move is to slot in my work times in some logical fashion, which will require discipline on my part to keep to - not my strong point, so this phase will take a while I imagine.
Am missing the blogs of the Kessie campers, and looking forward to their return.
*waves* at campers, hope they're having a lovely time. Next year I shall throw myself into all this real-life meeting MuddlePuddle social stuff. And in the meantime, I have Nic, so I'm bloody lucky! Seeing her, Davies and Scarlett on Monday at hers, as long as she's not too knackered post-Kessingland.
Tomorrow Katya, Ria and Belle - we didn't see them last week which is unusual, so glad to be catching up tomorrow.
Last weekend I visited some internet mates of old (*waves* to Lyn and Barnie and *waves* to Twinks and Mags, despite them not having been there). Had a lovely child-free (well, free of my child anyway) time, beautiful food and weather, great company. Our hostess was greeted cheerily by a member of her family with 'So are these your imaginary friends then?'. And 2 nice long train journeys to just enjoy scenery/reading/thinking. Not bad at all, thank you very much.

Lowlights: hayfever, tiredness, lack of relaxation
Highlights: feeling good about work/money achievements, seeing good friends, cuddles again, F asking me to come and watch a TV programme called 50/50 with her because she knew I would like it and I did and we sat together getting all excited for the 2 teams of kids.

No comments: