Thursday, March 16, 2006

Slow bus to bonkers

How today was supposed to go:
I finish work at 3 am go to bed, get up around 9ish, leisurely preparation, set off for MonsterTeenyLand at around half 10, arrive middayish.

How today went:
I stopped work at 5am, got all of 3 hours sleep, still had to finish work before setting out, internet had gone pffft, ended up finishing around lunchtime, set off for MonsterTeenyLand, spontaneously decided doing it all by bus might be fun, arrived at gone 3!

Anyway, the journey was great, but utterly stupid and irresponsible given that we were meant to actually be arriving somewhere - I haven't been thinking clearly all day really, due to tiredness, it seemed perfectly fine to tootle along the coast road on a bus.
Have to say Mrs MonsterTeeny was very calm about our ridiculous travel arrangements but maybe that was because I had brought wine. Inland Rev have sent me a statement showing that I'm no longer in arrears, in fact I am finally ahead of myself tax-wise, so something to celebrate!

I think F, D and S all played pretty well together, despite a general propensity by F to bounce where there should not be bouncing. She had a problem with teatime due to buttons - this is going to have to be dealt with, I thought it was going away but it's not, she's just got good at hiding it some of the time. D was today's perfectly lovely child, not that F and S weren't, but D was on top form, what with superheros and a cute hat and general charmingness. F was somewhat in police mode, but Mrs MT reminded me that 4-yr olds just do that. We chatted but kept losing our thread what with children and wine and all. Still, it was a lovely visit for me - Mrs MT is one of those people, like Katya, that I can really enjoy spending time with even when I'm half dead on my feet from deadline madness.
We arrived home not far off F's bedtime, so she ended up staying up late and getting into the idea of maps, following our various journeys today by foot, bus, train and car (Thanks Mrs MT, Thanks Mr MT!) and drawing lines and buildings and things.

And I'm too tired to continue, so that will pretty much have to do.

Tomorrow, HH my cousin's wife is coming in the afternoon, but we don't really have any other plans, only little pootling things to be done. Then we have a longish weekend, including visiting J's mum on Monday. At the moment I have no work and am glad. Break, please.

4 comments:

Rossi said...

I hate that coast for bus journeys! In fact I loathe bus journeys as they go stupid routes!

a said...

Tempted to have a go at getting to Alison's on buses - trouble is there's absolutely no room for luggage on buses is there!
I quite like the bus for taking you through towns and seeing odd bits of places - F is currently very much in love with buses so she's a pleasant travelling companion most of the time, whereas the novelty of trains has worn off a bit for her and you do see mainly fields from them.

a said...

F really loves the view from top front seat of double-deckers - it's so exciting to her to be so high up and look down on everything. She does great running commentaries often turning them into songs.
Yes public transport is great when you have all the time in the world, F and I have had great conversations on trains and buses and she really has become a much better travelling companion over the last year (horrible noises made on train back from Lancing yesterday excepted)

So what would our midpoint destination be? Godalming?

Unknown said...

not via a bus. I reckon midpoint would be somewhere crazy like Newquay! ;-)

We love doing tour bus rides round places, we did Brighton a couple of years ago and it was fab seeing places I'd driven past loads of times but never seen over the walls of!