Yesterday was freezing but sunny and F and I wandered up to the castle to check out a 'Family Storymaking Trail'. We very much enjoyed the castle, as always, clambering up and down the lethal steps here and there, but I have to say that a 3-page list of suggested storytelling activities, with a very badly printed picture does not constitute a storymaking trail in my book (which is THE authoritative book in this matter so there). When the other local museum, run under the same umbrella (county historical group) can provide a fire-making workshop and the chance to get your hands on real Tudor food and kitchen utensils, the castle's approach strikes me as nothing short of piss poor. There, I have spoken and I feel better for it.
Nevertheless we did do a few of the activities and had a good wander round and anyway, it didn't cost more than the price of admission and we now have a year's pass for the castle, to add to our growing collection of annual memberships for local attractions, so not all bad. Fantastic views from the top on a clear day like yesterday. F got very cross with me for trying to go down the stairs (steep narrow spiral staircase in tower) in front of her, and insisted on going first in the end. So I let her and she was very careful. She did fall over twice yesterday but only on ordinary pavements!
Hope some of their other upcoming events will be better.
Other than that, this weekend we have watched loads of very early Dr Who (William Hartnell - and we have others waiting!), started one of F's Xmas jigsaws - 1000 pieces - I have been itching to do a bigger jigsaw for so long and finally F is more positive about them, so we've been doing it together and I've been doing some on my own - it's lovely having the (warning - controversial!) table to do it on too, wandering up, doing a few pieces and wandering off again.
Also, H from over the road came over today and put our railings up - he is finishing the job tomorrow - they look great and it will make the garden so much safer. He's done a great job, love the decorative offcuts he used to give it just a bit of character.
Other than that, F has done quite a bit of incidental reading and writing, spotting the word 'SALE' in town yesterday and making a list of Nintendo DS games at the moment, plus various messages/notices/diary entries.
J and I managed to transfer more of our 2000 books onto the recently acquired shelf space - the main unit in the bedroom is packed 3 deep! I was thinking about my reluctance to get rid of any of them and looking at them - they kind of tell the story of J, the story of me and the story of us really - some we have had since we were very young, some we both read and chatted about when first together, etc. Some related to courses and jobs, some to ethics, philosophy, political persuasions and interests. No, I can't get rid of any of them - if there's anything that is a record of everything about us, it's them.
F recently went through a phase of 'daytime wetting' but she has been OK for 4 days now, which is a relief - she does seem to have this when she is ill sometimes.
I haven't worked since Thursday, and am drinking Chianti, tis bliss I tell ya! Got roast dinner underway in the oven and not working tonight either.
Sunday, February 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I spent a terrifying, rainy day at that castle once, with a big group of home ed kids - all under seven. They raced about and clambered on things and I was SO tense by the end! I get twitchy just walking carefully across that walkway with the massive drop.
That sounds even scarier!
I'm itching for bigger puzzles too. For some reason when I was pregnant with Ms R I had visions of doing them once I'd stopped work and was being a parent. Someone had told me that babies sleep alot, rofl.
Not sure what I'd do with all the stuff on our (warning-controversial) table though.
Glad Fs wet stage has passed.
LOL at that rosy image of leisure time for jigsaws L! I had similar crazed notions of that time.
It's really nice doing this puzzle with F - even if it is Disney princess themed!
Post a Comment