Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Midweek catch-up and some book recommendations

F had a lovely time at L in Btn's sleepover - they decorated T-shirts and watched Strictly, so no complaints there. Picked up with C mid-afternoon and bid L's family a fond farewell as they are all off to Australia and New Zealand for 7 weeks now.
Can I remember much of Monday? Nope. We didn't go to group, but Freya did go to drama. I didn't visit mum - as it turned out a good thing as the care home has the Norovirus.
I was working I think, apart from that, and stayed up later Monday night into small hours of Tuesday morning with a large French job and a small Russian job, all completed and delivered on time, so hooray.
Tuesday I printed off some KS3 maths questions from this site as I felt Freya was having a bit of a crisis of confidence/motivation with maths - she's always had a good feel for numbers and other maths stuff, but had lost her way a bit just lately. She really enjoyed doing a greater variety of questions, rather than repetitive practice, and found she was quite able to successfully complete questions in many different areas. She particularly liked the questions that were based in real-life situations too.

I have done a bit of resources ordering recently and can now thoroughly recommend the following books:
"The Murderous Maths of Everything" for some fun bits and pieces about mathematical concepts and history
"How to be the Best Bubblewriter in the World, Ever!" for playing with different arty writing for posters and cards 
"The Multiplication Tables Colouring Book: Solve the Puzzle Pictures While Learning Your Tables" for a very visual/puzzle-based approach to practising tables 
and 
"Write Stuff: Creative Writing for Girls" which I put off buying for ages due to the gender focus but then went with it as 3 of Freya's friends all had the book and it looked right up her street 
so am feeling a bit renewed and invigorated in terms of looking ahead and secondary ed. Also have a plan for a project that I hope to get on with and report back on.

Today Freya went to Forest School, a nice bright day to be out. We spent a lot of the afternoon watching episodes of I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here and she was doing various writing and other things at the same time. We've also recently watched Young Apprentice and Gadget Man.
Tomorrow she is off to a cookery workshop, then playing at friend's and sleepover, then Friday puppetry workshop at new Friday club and yoga. 
 


4 comments:

Michelle said...

must read the murderous maths one - I bought it ages ago as I liked the look of it but C hasn't picked it up yet. The others look good too.

Jan said...

I've got Creative Writing for Girls for someone for Christmas but haven't decided who yet. C's already quite a competent writer, and likes writing. M likes the idea of writing but the dyslexia grinds her to a halt so perhaps the book would provide some inspiration.

a said...

It's so nice to get an influx of new books and Freya seems really pleased with them all. I think the Murderous Maths one might be a dipping in type book for us, though having said that she will probably suddenly be in the mood to read the whole thing. Sounds like the Write Stuff book might be best for M as it emphasizes shorter pieces of writing mainly, it's definitely good for inspiration.

Allie said...

'lime bunches and all' - fab.