Friday, April 25, 2014

Sewing, New 4-thing Thursday, Book Club

Tuesday 22nd
A quiet day at home, I think, pretty sure I did some work and we watched some things and did a bit more of Freya's skirt she is making. We have been watching Frasier episodes on Channel 4 quite a bit and I just bought the box set this week.

Wednesday 23rd
Forest School for Freya, but there had been some miscommunication so they all just went for a walk I think. Back home in the afternoon, we did a bit more sewing of her skirt and watched The Big Allotment Show, which is one of our current favourites.

Thursday 24th
New monthly writing group for Freya in the morning up at C's. I had most of the day at home, while she did Writing, then Dance, then Art, after which I picked her up for cheesy chips before Guides. A long busy day, she was out from 10.30 to 8.30. At Art she has made a nice minion tile, and is now doing a picture of a church. At Guides they made mini-camps on trays down at the Paddock.

Friday 25th
Book Club this morning - 3 award-winning or shortlisted books: Madame Doubtfire by Anne Fine; When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead; Rooftoppers by Katherine Rundell. I liked When You Reach Me best, though Rooftoppers was a lovely piece of writing with lots of humour in the first third or so. Madame Doubtfire has funny bits but the bitterness and selfishness of the parents was quite unsettling. When You Reach Me combines school/12-yr old relationships stuff with time travel and some other nice sub-plots, lovely complexity, very pleasing book I thought.
Next time we are focusing on the Percy Jackson books.

No comments: