Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Writing Sleepover

Friday 25th
Forgot to blog what we actually did in Book Club because I got carried away about the books. Which is All Good.
We did initial 'what did you read?' and 'did you like it?', then general discussion questions about how we felt about characters, what were the strongest and weakest aspects, etc. Then lunch, then extracts in a bit of detail, reading out and commenting, with activity for each book: a Daniel/Doubtfire version of something a bit like wink murder, timed 20,000 dollar Pyramid in pairs and standing on one leg with eyes closed, timed. All of which relate to the books in various ways.

Weekend
Roller Disco - we'd not been for ages, I had the chance of a long chat with C, so that was nice.
Fencing - my long chat with M, also very nice!
In the evenings we watched 2 films "About Time" and "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" - really enjoyed both. J and Freya played Octodad, sooo funny! Bit short though.

Monday 28th
No Geography till 12th May but Freya went to see her friend L for a couple of hours. I finished off last bit of work for April. 
Later we walked in for her to do Aerial. She made some progress on rope, good stuff.

Tuesday 29th
 Prepared for writing sleepover - Freya had 4 friends coming to do writing stuff. Had to do some rearranging of her room, it is so hard to fit people in. Made a board game, where you pick up cards that have things to be included in a story, and every time someone throws a 6 everyone writes up all the cards they have so far. Worked well, used a blank game board configuration I found on the Internet, printed out on 4 sheets of A4 joined together. Freya wrote lots of 'pick a card' or 'pick 3 cards' or 'go back 2 spaces' etc. while I made up cards.
After a pizza dinner they read what they had written from the game, a great mix of stuff, forced to be a bit mad by the strange things they had to include, from specific words to plot elements.
Then did an exercise starting from a piece of speech, to develop a character using some questions and prompts. Was good but I think they would have liked to take it to a finished piece, but were all getting tired by then!

Wednesday 30th
Didn't sleep that well as was listening out now and then to the murmurs of the unsleeping. L and N did sleep I think, but other L, M and Freya not so much at all.
Watched some Friends episodes and gave them brekkie of brioche and fruit, then they were variously picked up or headed off (N walking home by herself). I took Freya to Forest School, after a bit of miscommunication - didn't need to have taken her at all! Never mind.
Waiting to find out final figures for April from my main agency before I can do invoice. Am pretty sure it has been a good month but not sure how good yet.

No comments: