Friday, February 25, 2005

tree birds Dora Boots

Yesterday was one of those really nice days. None of the things I'd planned or expected (mainly making pizza and bathing/showering) happened. But some great things happened. Firstly, R's mum K rang and suggested meeting up later, and I suggested they came to us as I was in a really lazy 'let's avoid going out' mood, and she was already out and could pop by on her way back from town. This was great, because there was a period when we first moved to this small town when I desperately wanted a friend who would pop by spontaneously, lived nearby and had a child of F's age, who was maybe about my age, and had something in common with me. And thank goodness I met K, who has two children, R (same age as F) and B (2).
The girls all get on pretty well. So they turned up and K had brought lunch, which I wasn't expecting, so she and I scoffed French bread, houmous and salad while the girls rampaged happily (on the whole). I love that this happens now in my life. It's a small thing to many people I'm sure. But I've never been very quick or good at making friends, didn't belong to an NCT or other baby group for various reasons and haven't met that many other mums that I can relax with. I guess I'm an awkward b*gger. So to have K and R in my life, and F's, is really good. R and F are quite similar and getting used to each other now. There were a few times we were all just having a good laugh, especially singing silly versions of nursery rhymes: 'Twinkle twinkle little Bum' etc.

Another feature of yesterday was that the phone rang about every 40 minutes. Shortly after K and her two girls had left, it rang again and I had a long chat with a friend who is due to be adopting, with her partner, in August or soon after. We were having a good serious chat, and F had asked for paper and crayons. I suddenly saw that she was drawing a really representational picture of a tree! She did a beautiful picture of this tree with branches, leaves and birds nesting.
I'm really interested in the process of how children learn to draw, when they are left largely to themselves to do it. At some pre-schools and nurseries I think they 'teach' them how to draw, i.e. make them draw things in a particular way, rather than just getting familiar with materials, shapes, colours, etc. and seeing what happens and drawing as they perceive things. F doesn't usually do representational/recognizable pictures like that. It was very interesting, and a beautiful picture. I was then asked to draw Dora and Boots on the picture and then to write the words 'tree', 'birds', 'Dora' and 'Boots' at the bottom.
Phew this is a marathon entry, pause for breath.
OK Later now.
Had one of those 'I won't wear a coat. I'm not cold' scenes when attempting to leave the house to go to local shop (a relatively modest ambition, I know). Fortunately I took gloves and poncho and sure enough she ended up in the buggy under the blanket with the whole lot on, still with a red nose (appropriately for the time of year).
And right now we're in the middle of making a pizza, but she decided to suddenly draw another tree right between making the dough and putting the sauce on. I think it will wait OK for a while. It's really lovely this sudden tree-drawing business. It's like the muse strikes! Actually this time it was that she found a bright green crayon that she hadn't had yesterday.
Have bought our lovely frozen curry for tonight (local woman who produces proper handmade dishes, many veg. options, no additives etc. available in local shop) and am looking forward to the weekend, with a guest for Saturday night and a grandpa for Sunday afternoon. Managed to do an online shop so food will arrive magically on Saturday.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

yes I seem to do a lot of drawing Dora and Boots here too :-)
Sounds like a nice day and totally KWYM about finding a friend like that.

a said...

Thanks Nic, my first comment! Hugs comment to self and rereads repeatedly muttering 'I got a comment'

Joanna said...

Here, have another comment! I think I'll be reading your blog as I too am 40 and have a daughter born June 2001, so very similar. Welcome to blogland!

a said...

Thanks for the welcome Joanna. Have you got a blog somewhere?

Joanna said...

Yes, mine is www.goldie-family.blogspot.com

Joanna said...

Holy cow, no it isn't! What a weird blog that is! Mine is www.goldiefamily.blogspot.com (no hyphen!)