Tuesday - my mum came over and had a fairly exhausting afternoon with a demanding F. They made some perfume from the Perfume Laboratory kit and did a few gravity Discovery Tube things and had a picnic in the garden while I got some work done. F wanted to know what the other kits were that were shown on the back of the Perfume instruction booklet, so we looked at them and talked about them briefly and I checked out the website.
Mum brought an Olga da Polga book for F - I loved those stores as a child and hadn't realized they were by Michael Bond. Good timing as we have been rereading some of the My Secret Unicorn books and just finished one the night before. I think F did some more 'helping Jack and Mary surfing'. We talked about babies and what they can and can't do, especially the noises they make instead of words and saw a quick science clip about babies having their hearing tested and how difficult it is to ascertain whether they are reacting to a noise or just wobbling coincidentally in the right direction.
F is now extremely adept at Marble Blast Ultra on XBox 360 - she played a bit of that at various points in the day too, currently tracking down Easter Eggs on some levels.
We had also watched Snow White, as we couldn't remember the words when we were singing 'I'm wishing', in duet form with her doing the echo, while I was cleaning the bathroom the other day - triggered by the obvious toilet/wishing well analogy!
Last night, I read her a couple of chapters of Olga da Polga while she was making up a story in her new notebook from my mum. The story was called The Magic Heart and featured a superhero who can make dull things sparkle and is to do with her idea that she keeps part of people she loves in this golden heart that Mr B and Ms C's little girl E gave her. That's not as creepy as it sounds - it's just about remembering people when they can't be with you really.
This morning we talked a bit about why different versions exist of old stories from before mass print media existed and imagined how one person might tell a story and it could get changed with time passing, memory failing and the different tellings by different people passing it on, resulting in many different versions being created all over the world in time. And we talked a bit about printing and ink.
I stayed up late finishing some work and chatting online with some friends and heard F also awake bouncing around in her room in the small hours, so we're both starting the day with a sleep deficit. Good job we don't have too much to deal with today!
At the moment she's watching the My Little Pony film and considering what to have for breakfast. I'm anticipating a huge job coming in later today, which will be due for delivery in early October. Which means no decent money till Christmas really.
Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment