Woken up quite a few times in the night by sniffly girl and we were all out of Calpol, so just chucked some Olbas Oil about and gave cuddles by the boatload. She tipped her glass of water over her by trying to drink lying down so had to do a bit of sorting out, then next time she was too hot and after that her duvet wasn't right, etc. Poor sossige.
When we did get up, she started her day snuggling with a duvet on the sofa and watching Snow White, followed by (Barbie, of course) Rapunzel. Then she played with her LeapPad and showed me some of her favourite bits of the Disney Princess book, using some great vocabulary to give her own names to the different sections of the book: 'this is the something lullaby, this is the Princess romantic, etc.' Ariel is still her favourite.
At some point, she went and played in her room for an hour or so, then came back down and announced that she was going to make a locket. So she did, with some help from me.
She did: finding cardboard; drawing locket outlines; drawing pictures inside locket (her on one side and C3PO on the other!); finding ribbon; choosing colours and colouring outside of locket.
I did: cutting locket shapes from her outlines; attaching velcro fastening strips and tying ribbon knots.
We did: suggesting and discussing options to make hinge, to fasten locket and to attach ribbon.
I completely love these projects that she organizes.
When it was completed, I put it round her neck and she wore it for the rest of the day. She asked me to e-mail J to tell him about it too! So I did.
Then she did a bit more LeapPad and asked me how it worked, so I showed her that the cartridge had the information and the book didn't, by using it with cartridge in but no book and said there were lots of wires and electronic components, including sensors, inside the plastic casing, finding out where the pen was and then doing different things depending on the cartridge.
After that, she looked at an XBox game manual and said 'mummy I know there are 29 pages in this book'. I thought she had counted them but she was looking at the table of contents and had seen 29 as the last number, so we talked briefly about that.
Next she stuck some velcro squares to a piece of cardboard and observed that it looked like a climbing wall, so I suggested getting one of her Barbies or ponies or other toys and sticking the other velcro on their feet so that they could climb safely up it. So she did that and made it work, sort of!
A bit later she observed that a thunderstorm is like 'water fireworks' because the thunder is like the big loud fireworks going off, the rain on the roof is like the smaller pitter-patter type of fireworks and the lightning is like the look of the fireworks.
Other things: the honey bee bath bomb finally got used; watched Pitt and Kantrop twice, plus The Queen's Nose; she seemed to be doing lots of counting; singing Bibbity Bobbity Boo; saying 'qu'.
I really love our days at home like this, even with a cold!
Thursday, September 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment