Wednesday, December 19, 2007

back home

Had a lovely time at my mum's where F thoroughly enjoyed herself with videos, DVDs, painting a pony, feeding the birds, jumping on furniture and generally being very F.
I had to work Sunday and Monday evening, but we went into Mtown on Monday during the day and had a series of missions including meeting mum's friend for lunch, buying a new phone for mum for Xmas, buying DVDs and sellotape and finding somewhere that would allow me to send my work by e-mail to agency in France from USB flash drive thingy. It seemed quite a lot to do, especially as F was initially in full-on strop mode and 'wah'ing quite a bit. However, we managed to find a really nice phone in the same shop that we were meeting mum's friend in, so that was good going. Then we had a nice lunch/coffee, F was out of strop mode quite quickly after we set off and it turned out to be really easy to send my work off from the library, where the staff were so helpful and it all went very smoothly. Then we saw a 'Santa's grotto' near the library and took F to meet him, despite having had A Certain Conversation within the last year. She was all shy but managed to speak to him as long as she didn't have to look at him. We finished off by buying DVDs for all of us (101 Dalmatians, Shrek the Third, Miracle on 34th Street and The Two Ronnies) and sellotape in Smiths and getting a taxi back.
Tuesday was our mini-Xmas, which was nice. F opened some prezzies, including a china pony to decorate, which was a big hit. I cooked a Xmas dinner and we watched our DVDs and generally flopped around in a Xmassy fashion, with crackers and chocolates and stuff. Very nice indeed. In the evening, one of my oldest friends came by and F was good enough to leave us alone for a long chat. She is going through some very difficult times, it was good to be able to chat.
Today, F dictated a story to grandma and I set up the phones as best I could and we came back to a hard frost - very chilly here - and I've had a minor declutter in the living room and now drinking wine and not working - So It Begins...

2 comments:

Allie said...

Sounds like a good trip. I find that this time of year tends to have lots of 'ups and downs' for our kids. I think its the break in routines and the constant exciting happenings. I'm getting through with lots of mince pies...

a said...

*takes Allie's advice very seriously and puts more 'mince-pie' slots in schedule*
I agree a lot of it is due to a sort of unbearable anticipation of various excitements that builds up like static in the air and has to discharge now and then.