Thursday, December 27, 2007

Flat Packing Day

Flat Packing Day is the traditional day after Boxing Day when the enormous bright yellow IKEA lorry arrives at 8am, complete with loud reversing beep to wake post-festive neighbours up, having phoned in the middle of the night (7am!) to say 'we will be with you in just under an hour.
It was quite nice though as it gave me a good 2 hours reading time before anyone else surfaced and I was reading a good book ('In the Woods' by Tana French - detective stuff but well-written and a good read). So I sat with all the cardboard boxes full of birch veneered chipboard, drinking a huge mug of tea and lost in a book. Bliss!

We started assembling in the early afternoon and got 4 out of the 5 items done: big bookcase upstairs, medium and small bookshelves in living room, plus other unit for craft stuff and kits also in living room. Only F's Trofast left to do over the weekend. I got a bit of a mission head on and insisted on doing the huge great Expedit thing upstairs on my own, despite the fact that there is no room to do it and the thing was bigger than me. Unsurprisingly I effed it up by building it the wrong way round and had to start again (80 bloody dowels! I didn't do them again, I just bodged it and wiggled a bit until they gave in, the little wooden sods - Nic says I need more risk in my life due to having a stainless steel draining rack thing, so this should do it for now). All done in the end though, and a certain feeling of pride in that I can say 'I did that', which I shall do, even, or especially, when it falls over on me. So we should be able to get most of the books out of the 'spare room' (office?) soon, even though we will have to double stack them.
Most of the storage is open, so it doesn't actually make the clutter more 'sightly', but still it's a good move for the 'place for everything and everything in its place' approach. Also, along with our shiny new tap, it has made our house feel much more like 'home' and 'ours' suddenly.

F was initially stroppy - she seems to have strops about an hour after getting up a lot at the moment (maybe breakfast isn't right?) - but later she became more companionable and helped with taking tools and things between me and J whilst we continued our Ikean endeavours. When J finished downstairs, she and he played The Simpsons game on XBox for a while. Later we watched the second of our Harry Potter DVDs and didn't cook (F had freezer pizza and we had Chinese) - really enjoying those films and F was more into it this time. She varied between snuggling with me, sitting with J and running backwards and forwards distractingly. Was nice to end the day with a snuggle though - I felt I'd hardly seen her, with doing so much flatpackery.

Last night J and I watched 'Sunshine', which I enjoyed more than anything I've seen for a while. I didn't like the turn it took in the last 20 or 30 minutes so much, but I loved the general feel of it and the visuals were absolutely stunning. Cillian Murphy too...

Tomorrow J's mum has got tickets for us all to go to a panto. There still seem to be quite a few days of relaxation left too! Neither J nor I will start working again till 2nd Jan.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have questions...
1) Since when do ikea deliver? Oh crap I have a sudden urge to refurnish my house. eek!
2) What's an Expedit and what's a trofast?
3) Are stainless steel draining rack things evil in the same way as killer salt dough and should I be rushing to the kitchen to dispose of mine?
4) Not a question, just googled expedits and I want one. I have nowhere to put one but I want one.
5) Again not a question I'm just liking the numbers now, I hate wooden dowels too. 80 of them might put me off wanting an expedit.
6) Nope not gonna put me off coz I just remembered how good A was at doing dowels last time we did flatpackery.
7) I have nothing else left to say but I really wanna get to number 10 now.
8) I have added Sunshine to my ToBeWatched list.
9) Errrm...
10) Yay I made it!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Allie said...

It's a well known fact that people who do enough Ikea flat pack don't need an abs diet...

a said...

LOL Liza - I was cheering you on to 10 there!
Glad you googled and found the Expedit as I'm very lazy with the linkage.
Ikea have only delivered for the last few months I think, entirely in response to my 10 years of moaning about their environmentally unfriendly (not to mention very inconvenient) 'Udrive2us' approach in various places, so well done me! I now need a new target for moaning at - I'm sure there are many. Tesco springs to mind for many reasons.
The draining rack makes my stacking less precarious and Nic thinks I need a new risky element to daily living to replace that chance of mountains of crockery falling and smashing on me.
Why didn't you tell me before that A is good with dowels - you could have popped round!

Sorry Allie I deleted the spam comment and have now made you look strangely non-sequiturial.

Anonymous said...

Lol @ strange non-sequiturial Allie.

A, well done on the moaning, my bank balance doesn't thank you but I do ;)

Unknown said...

Hmm, you have to do everything by extremes don't you? Leaping from letting the lottery of smashing a plate or cup everytime you wash up to the gamble of being crushed in your bed by falling towers of birch laminate! It's like your whole crap vegan thing, you can't just be a vegetarian who likes the odd bit of chicken, you have to go all the way down the cheezley route! lol

Glad you're feeling a bit better, hope Mrs Strop of Stroppityville retains her amateur status for the Stroplympics by not upping to five a day thus entering professional territory.