Saturday, February 05, 2011

Stuff

We slept in a bit longer than we should so no early start, but by 12ish we were heading off to London to the Royal Institution for this family day. I was particularly keen to get to this one as it related to the Christmas lectures and we'd very much enjoyed them this year. 
Lovely train ride up, playing Alchemy Classic (F made an electric eel and J now has half the total number, I only have 50-something) and chatting about a whole range of things, including Braille, Chinese New Year, Chinese zodiac, our Chinese zodiac animals (J=horse, F=snake and I'm a dragon) and their supposed attributes, generic pharmaceutical products and brands. F had bought herself another Sackboy/girl toy figure on the way to the station and unwrapped it on the train to find it was her first female one, the Chinese Sackgirl. She will join the others working in the care home for pipe-cleaner stick figure children - they have a Russian social worker, a French chef, not sure what roles the American, Indian and Irish characters have been assigned. F commented a few days ago that her odds of getting one she already had were now exactly 50%. She's been lucky to only have one duplication so far.

In London we walked from Victoria over to the RI, via Buckingham Palace and Green Park, so quite dawdly walk really, looking at statues and the Canada Memorial with the running water and maple leaves.

Arriving at the RI, we had timed it badly with all our dawdling, as very hungry and cafe almost closed, so no proper food available. Quick drink and then we wandered. I had expected the hands-on stuff to be the best bit, but actually a lot of it was stuff we'd recently encountered at the Science Museum, e.g. ferrofluid+magnet, or stuff you couldn't get near anyway. The talk on 'Stuff' was excellent though. It revisited a bit of the Christmas lectures but also included different things, so a good mix. We all really enjoyed it and if we go again we will attend as many talks as available and just fit in a bit of hands-on activity in between.
A good afternoon all in all.

J and I got very fed up with a few children who weren't being parented much at all, or not to much effect, and did various annoying things. I am becoming increasingly intolerant of children (and adults when I encounter them!) who push in, don't share or take turns, scream and shout for the sake of it and are relentlessly 'all-about-me' and attention-seeking. I am developing glaring and muttering skills, with enhanced sarcastic whispering and eye-rolling.

On way home, we had to stand part of the way on crowded train. F was reading, so not bothered at all.
Back home I did pasta and garlic bread and we watched Total Wipe-Out.

1 comment:

HelenHaricot said...

sounds a good day to have gone to. also intolerant of the next 'me' generation!