Friday, May 27, 2005

inner dog

Hmm, my blog seems to be only about 5% actual obvious well-defined Home Ed - sorry MuddlePuddlers - so I think I should try and put HE stuff at the top of each post from now on.
So HE - On our Bluebell Railway train ride, F pointed out the numbers on the seats (11-14) and worked through what they were a bit with friendly help from her big people. On Monday at Nic's, she and I showed Nic, Davies and Scarlett our experiment with her rubber ball. It's a transparent rubber ball with a coloured inner sphere. When you push it down into some water, the coloured sphere appears to shrink, presumably due to refraction. It's like magic though, and the coloured bit is pink, so way cool!
We are also on Episode 7 of Headsprout, putting dinosaur bones together with 'c' and 'l', 'can' and 'Lee'. We tend to do a lot of it together at the moment, though with all these things the repetition quickly drives me up the wall. She has played with the Fimbles music thing on the CBeebies site, other CBeebies stuff and had a go at making up a Sim on my laptop.
She and I have talked about taste buds, flavours, the wind, time, colours, steam, metal, magnets. She has been bored sometimes. She and Uncle Jack did a bit of making on Tuesday, nearly a turtle and a 'cave' that looked more like a telescope. I have plenty of craftable packaging items saved in a box in the cupboard that are gradually approaching their time I think.

Finished a nice big chunk of work today with a big adrenaline rush. At about 4 this morning, I had one of my so-tired-I-closed-my-eyes-while-typing and translated some piece of hi-tech computer kit as 'dog'. Fortunately noticed and rectified it. It's really weird how I can type in my sleep, but at least it gives my subconscious a chance to take over for a while. Still kind of strange that all it has to tell me is 'dog', wonder what that means... feel free to offer analysis.
Bluebell railway last Friday - was fun. Nice train ride, lots of big machinery to look at close up. Lovely trains, big metal engineering joy. I love trains. I love great big clonking bits of metal that work together beautifully, rods and axles and pistons and wheels. And of course a little model railway bit, which F was keenest on. We only had one 20p but it was well-spent there. Grandpa Clive was on good form most of the time, although we all had a bit of a bothersome moment when he brought up the Bluewater hoody thing and came out with some opinions that we don't really share. He's all for the 'discipline/respect' angle, but doesn't seem to acknowledge the counterpoint of children being treated with respect, etc. Oh yes, we could have a right old debate, but it never seems to work out like that, too close to home and stuff. I mentioned HE to him so that's done for now. No major reaction, but I expect there will be some questions another time.
J has pretty much managed to give up smoking again (thank you patches), and is so much better company as a parent and my fella! There is stuff going on in his big old head though, I can see. I wish I wish...
Tonight Katya had invited me to go on a local 'horror' themed history walk, we went and had a really good laugh and a drink afterwards. We've only socialized as mums with buggies and thoroughly enjoyed the chance of a good chat. It was a 2-hour walk though, so we earned our beer. Various local sites of public execution, hangman's houses, graveyards and former prison locations were pointed out. The man leading the walk was fairly good at it, though his habit of licking his lips as he described various 'measures of correction' was less than charming, to be honest.
Grandma came yesterday - mainly an enjoyable visit, though F has been prone to strops this last few days, and not eating so well, so either ill or just got blood sugar wobblies.
Tomorrow Katya is coming over with Ria and Belle, I confessed I didn't have much in the cupboards and she might bring chips over with mushy peas.
Current ideas:
3Dish map of local area centred on stream; knitting or knotting or other stitch-related activity; pizza making or breadsticks.

2 comments:

Allie said...

Hiya. Also love the 'dog' story. I have developed the ability to read aloud to the kids and think of something else entirely. This works almost perfectly but occasional slips occur along similar lines.

The 'hoodie' thing is the banning of said garments by the Bluewater shopping centre. Nothing changes - I bet they'd have banned drape coats and crepe shoes in the fifties...

a said...

It is a bit 'out on the rim' here at this end of the blogring isn't it? Glad you popped round Alison!
Grandpa isn't really Clive, I use blogonyms with same initial, and have to say Gaffer sounds lovely when I've read about him. Our Grandpa C is not quite in that mould but we're knocking him into shape gradually! Allie's explained the hoodie thing, wish I'd thought of the Teddy Boy analogy when having the discussion with Grandpa C.
Allie - I'm so impressed that you can read aloud while your head goes off on holiday, that's a whole step up from typing, I think. Bet the slip-ups are funny though. Still haven't passed on your congrats to G and S, but must get in touch with them actually, so will soon.