I had somehow assumed that 'everyone' had been to Nic's house, since I'm a bit of a slacker in the real-life socializing stakes. But no! Apparently I am 'The First'! I didn't know till it was time to leave, so I suspect I was somewhat insensitively relaxed about the whole thing, lounging in a made-myself-at-home manner on Nic's sofas (which I really liked, comfy and delicious-coloured) as soon as I got my lunch! I have a bit of a tendency to relax too much too soon with people I like, so hope you can take it as a compliment, Nic. Anyway, I had a lovely afternoon, we chatted away, the children had no major rows, occasionally played 'together' and seemed fine - I always feel Davies has so much to offer as a playmate, and F just kind of doesn't seem to appreciate it, is slightly suspicious, but I know there is an age gap there, and she also takes a while to get used to people, so I just hope he won't feel too fed-up with her! I think I might if I was him, but he's such a nice, very emotionally healthy boy. Funnily enough, F has talked about him very positively ('he's a very kind boy' she told her dad) several times since we left Nic's so I guess she's sorting him out in her head and will hopefully get round to acting on it some time not too distant! In the meantime, don't give up Davies, please! Or at least don't feel bad about F - she ignores most of my ideas too, and they're great, I know they are!
Anyway, in between their playing, I saw Davies writing! He wrote all our names, asking Nic for help with how to write some letters, which letters went where etc. as he needed. It was lovely, as he just decided he needed to write our names on some ELC play-cheques for a shopping game, and so there he was, choosing to do some writing. Nice example of autonomy. Great to see that his attitude to writing is positive - it's not a chore/duty/imposed activity - it's a skill, a tool, something to be included in play where appropriate. Found it very interesting to observe that.
Scarlett is really getting good control with her drawing, I was amazed to see that she has 'proper' pen-grip, apparently always has had from first picking up a pen. She was a bit tired, but still joined in nicely at times.
F had one of her 'need to be on my own' moments at some point, but wasn't quite as freaked as I have seen her when she gets like that, so I think she's getting more social. LOL or I'm less uptight about the whole thing maybe. I do seem to be in a very non-uptight phase about all sorts of things at the moment. I even didn't really get stressed on our train journey and enjoyed her company - she made up a song that she said would help when we were hurrying to catch trains: 'Can we make it, yes we can!' it goes (Don't sue me Bob, the tune is quite different and fixing isn't the same as making, is it?)
Nic's house is lovely, bright and fresh, welcoming and homely. I particularly liked the photo-collages in her living-room, large framed pieces filled with photos and tickets from events etc. really lovely personal artwork, which is always so nice to see on people's walls. And a lovely big picture Davies had done for his dad's birthday, with 'Me and Daddy' written on it by him.
Oh there's lots I could write but I need to keep momentum going on work - every time I see Nic I seem to score a nice big job, (she brings me good luck!) and that happened today, so I'm busy again.
Will try and blog on Thursday at a bit more of a leisurely length. Will try not to forget: Bluebell Railway last Friday; anything else I've left out of this one.
Monday, May 23, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
:-) :-) :-) thank you, a very flattering description of my house and my beautiful and talented offspring!
It was a lovely afternoon, thanks for making that epic journey ;-) and you left your spread here so that's us set up for next time you come!
Well I've ALMOST been to her house :-)
Post a Comment