Saturday, February 18, 2006

Retail, tears and mud

Yesterday F and I went off to the high street shops together. Main purposes of mission were to stock up on Cheezly and to get F some kind of toy as a treat, as I had a bit more money than I was expecting to have. She chose a Dora torch, although she would have loved another Barbie or a My Little Pony (don't really like either of those options, but they are very popular with F - a gay male friend and I used to sing a parody advert song for My Little Pony that included all kinds of unlikely pony accessories, improvised as we went along, some rude, some surreal, but all hilarious because we were drunk - it's that kind of tune, you can just do what you like with it). I successfully bought up most of the entire local stock of Cheezly, a few fruity snack things and some nasturtium and cornflower seeds, just because the packet pictures looked so gorgeous and completely failed to buy special lightbulbs for our posh bedside lights.
I took F into the shoe shop and sure enough, another size up was required (hence extra wobbliness lately?), and the only things they had in her size were dark boots nearly up to knee, with a slight heel. She seems to like them, and I do think maybe they offer a bit of ankle support that helps her right leg. The secondary purpose of the mission was to walk into town, do shopping and walk back without the buggy! She did complain a few times and was tired by the end, but it's nice to know it can be done.

Other things: more Sims, more Shrek, more number conversations - she started looking for patterns in numbers today in some other context. A bit of sticking and a lot of knock knock jokes, or perhaps the same two over and over again is a better description. Also we have watched Mulan and some Dr Who.

Earlier in the week we watched Pocahontas (I know, I know). All the way through the last half she was asking me for reassurance that it would have a happy ending, and I was giving it.
And it didn't!
So she wailed and sobbed. I've never seen her cry over a film/programme before. I was crying too. Yes, she's discovered the delights of 'The Weepie'. I love a good cry over a film, myself. As soon as she could speak through her wailingness, the first word she said was 'Again'. So we watched it again and the second time I cried more but she didn't shed a tear!
Well, it is just tosh and horribly nastily historically-distorted tosh at that.

Today was wet and we took F's new boots out to get them a bit less new-looking. Splendidly muddy puddles were everywhere and she really splashed. Shame her trousers weren't tucked in, but it's nice to get really wet and muddy now and then!
J has had to commute up to London all week and we're all glad that's over. Have done an online shop delivered today and fridge and cupboards are full of all sorts of nice stuff.
Have some work to do, but feel very good about a big payment I made to the Inland Revenue yesterday.

2 comments:

Nikki said...

ROFL @ feeling good about paying inland revenue. We go through that too - I keep trying to convince myself that we must be doing well if we have to pay them so much!
Thank you for your comment on our blog about large social groups; made me feel better to know that we're not the only ones experiencing that kind of thing. Best wishes, Nikki, happilyhomeedding.blogspot.com

a said...

Ah, the Inland Revenue glow of virtue surrounds me (temporarily I suspect) Nikki!
Didn't know there was a Pocahontas II Merry. I will definitely read F the real story at some point soonish. Disney are gits really, that's why we used to boycott them.
LOL at Violet! And we are indeed cheezled to the max. We also have pineapple but no cocktail sticks.
Ali