Saturday:
The single memorable feature of Saturday was F wailing like a banshee at Tarly's 4th Birthday Party. Obviously one doesn't expect a 5-yr old to behave like a 4-yr old, so F seemed to go for behaving like a 2-yr old for (what felt like) 2 hours instead.
I think other things happened that day - I'm almost certain F attended a drama rehearsal in the morning, behaved like a civilized travelling companion on the train and ate lovely party food and made perfume with a fair amount of decorum. I'm fairly convinced that I saw various people that it was nice to see, some of whom even gave me quantities of money. But I can't be sure because those have become the blurry distant sepia-toned vaseline-lensed bits and what remains still ringing in my ears and burning on my retinas is: square-mouthed "Wwwaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!" (repeat till end. Of sanity. And then a few times for luck.)
So that was Saturday. Entirely overwritten by 90 minutes of embarrassing, disappointing, stressful and exhausting parenting that happened somewhere in the afternoon.
Sunday:
F was in her drama group Xmas show, a version of Cinderella, as a dove in the littlies group of doves and magpies, involving a fair amount of happy arm-wing fly-skipping, sad gathering round Cinderella, arch-making, skipping round in circles and performing 'Nobody Likes Me Everybody Hates Me Might as Well go and eat Worms' with actions, among other items. F did pretty well for a 5-yr old who had not done any drama until 3 months ago. A couple of times she was in the wrong place but she wasn't the only one and generally did pretty well, bless her! I had watched the last run-through and it was amazing to see how, as is so often the case, having an audience brought the kids' best performances out.
Beforehand, I mucked in backstage helping with pinning costumes, generally helping out and then was on drink and mince-pie duty for the arriving audience, with another parent who also home educates her 9-yr old daughter. So we managed a few interesting conversations between serving fruit punch and juice. F got a certificate commending her for settling well into class and all the kids got loads of applause and seemed to have a great time. My loudest applause had to go to Allie, who runs those groups (4-7s and 8-11s) - she works so hard and has my absolute admiration for how well she works with the children, she gets cross with them but never irritable or bad-humoured, if that makes sense.
After the show, J, F and I went for pizza round the corner
In retrospect I've put F's wailathon on Saturday down to going straight from a very intensive concentrating rehearsal to the party. She shouldn't really have been seriously tired or hungry, so I don't think it was that. But maybe mentally tired from concentrating, over-hyped and no time to chill out in between, etc.
Anyway - bad day - chalk it up - move on - as a good friend advised yesterday, and we have.
Tomorrow is MMs Xmas party and then the week is looking reasonably clear for Xmas shopping, maybe another swim (can't say now because it has to be spontaneous!) and lots of work.
Sunday, December 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Nah, you've said it now, what you need to do is blog that you've changed your mind about going swimming and then suddenly go anyway. Oh bugger, no I've messed that option up too now. Tricky business this spontanaity isn't it?! lol.
Well done F on the drama production - it sounds fab :)
Drama does sound fab.
And I was grateful for Fs prize winning princessness, as having had two solid days of it with E at Lucy's house it was bloody wonderful to see someone elses confirming how normal it is.
And I never did really tell you how I am did I?
*isn't even thinking of going swimming*
*on Wednesday*
*at all*
See you tomorrow Nic.
LOL Em I nearly put 'and Em is 'allegedly fine'' as one of the things I could just about remember.
Glad to have helped with the reassuring princessness demo.
aww F sounds like a lovely little dove!!
a, the previous and next buttons work ok for me :confused:
nic, where's your blog?
Ah it's something to do with my thing that stops scripts running automatically I think. Thanks for that Liza, made me check it out and now I at least know how to sort it, even if I have to do it each time individually.
Liza - it's way down the blogring at www.monsterteeny.blogsome.com
Post a Comment