No more buggy
End of physio
Starting to write
Yoga at home
MMs Monday group
Drama
perfect day on a sandy beach in May, before dad got ill
drama show
birthday pool party
3 trips away:Kessingland
HalloweenCamp
Pre-Xmas Xmas at my mums
Swimming
Reading
Music/Dancing
3 things to do againKessingland
NicCamps!
Spontaneous trips
Casual maths ('four twos are eight because it's twice two twos' she informs me between splashes in the bath)
Funny conversations
Cuddles
books
ice-lanterns
bath bombs
MonsterTeeny visits
parties and groups
popping to the park
3 things F enjoyed playing with this year:Leapster
Ponies and Barbies
Gears Gears Gears
travelling
working
making/baking together
giant bubbles
watching films and Dr Who together with our 'scary bits' protective duvet
XBox and puter games
F might start going to a pre-martial arts group locally
F might start going to local Badgers later in the year
we might make some more local home-ed contacts
to get fitter (yes I did say that last year, no it doesn't appear to have happened)
to do more writing (yes I did say that last year, it did happen intermittently)
to buy our own house and move in (just need to save or borrow a bit more for 10% deposit)

And if I had to choose just one major achievement/development of F's that marked this year, it would be her starting to write. Just under a year ago, she suddenly got interested in writing words and even sentences. This has continued intermittently through the year, and she now probably writes something on average more than once a week, with phases of more, phases of less. Sometimes it will just be her name or other words she already knows how to spell (mummy, daddy and cat being the faves), sometimes she will ask for new words to be spelt and actually initiate an exploration of the mechanics of the whole spelling thing. It's been a fascinating and very enjoyable year for observing and participating in this as an entirely natural process - she has moved towards literacy in just the same way that she moved towards mobility or speech - occasional leaps forward, occasional falls and steady forward progress that isn't always visible or comprehensible to an adult.
So, anyway, over the year, F has gone from just copying words to asking for spellings and discussing/playing with 'magic E', 'sneaky E' and other such items and turning words around, taking letters off and adding them and seeing what the difference is in how they sound, etc. She now knows what most of the letters of the alphabet look like in upper and lower case, can write them and knows what sounds they can make. I don't think she knows the alphabet itself, but that seems kind of dull and unnecessary at the moment, given that she doesn't have to use it for anything. She is basically discovering literacy for herself and it's going pretty well. She is definitely tackling writing and producing language more than reading, often dictating long stories to me too, or making books with a largely picture narrative, so it will be interesting to see how this develops over the next year. I think quite a few 'home-ed' children find that writing is more interesting (active?) than reading and, since I've identified F as a kinaesthetic learner, it's hardly surprising that she prefers writing, and tends to like to jump around a bit between letters too! So, there we are, it's been a year, really. Work has gone really well, family life has been lovely and I hope for more of the same next year.
Have a good New Year's Eve everyone and I hope 2007 holds many good things for you. We're staying in with curry, wine and 2 episodes of 'Heroes'.
7 comments:
Aw, lovely round up. Happy New Year Ali, J and F :) xxx
I enjoyed reading that. I really hope you fulfil your hopes and aspirations for 2007.
Wishing you much love and happiness for the coming year.
Love and Blessings
Jules x
Thanks Nic, thanks Jules!
Happy New Year to you and your families
Oi listlady, I've tagged you to write some more :)
http://monsterteeny.blogsome.com/2007/01/01/christmas-meme-thanks-alison/
rather enjoyed that, thanks for sharing.
only just caught up with this, what a lovely post, really enjoyed it :)
Happy new year x
I just got wordy on mine LOL
That was good reading - nice post :-)
Post a Comment