After a lot of feeling rather weighed down/trapped by commitments and regular arrangements, this week has been one in which we've somehow regained some spontaneity. I think I'm moving towards the art of being able to fit spontaneity into the hours and minutes rather than feeling the dismay of every day having something booked on it and looking closed off. So today I cancelled what we were half-committed to doing and when, a bit later, F asked to go swimming sometime soon, I said, 'yes, let's go now!' and went and got our costumes, much to our mutual delight.
I then effed it all up a bit by forgetting to actually put mine into the rucksack, but after a slight delay, nevertheless, there we were in the pool. F had several buoyancy aids and really started to work out how to move her arms and kick her legs today, with a level of confidence and safety that meant I even got to do 20 or so strokes myself, in short bursts of 5 at a time. After we'd been there a little while, a family from down the road turned up, which meant I managed short bursts of chat with A's mum D - they're nice, A is 6 mths younger than F, he's nearly finished his first term of half days at school, he's a lovely verbally confident little boy with a mop of red hair, big eyes and an engaging openness, a real character. I've met them at parties and in the park a few times - he has a 2-yr old sister E and both his parents are in proper lefty jobs helping the community like what I don't. So we ended up staying quite a while at the pool, with chatting and stuff.
Other than that, the day has included a bit of history (Romans, Saxons, Tudors and Victorians) and some sounding/spelling type stuff, much of it related to Class TV. She played some internet games, made some marble runs and rang S to wish her happy birthday - I had to do a bit of fierce 'now!' whispering to get her to leave her message after the tone.
Her Leapster has gone to ground - hasn't been seen since sometime last week I think - and I've looked in the obvious and the slightly less obvious places so I suspect a major excavation is going to be needed soon.
I'm really tired and I have loads of work (which is a very good thing), so I'm stopping there.
Wednesday, December 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
thanks for the message(s) - S was all glowy and chuffed. :)
We have such an extensive rota of stuff to do that everything ends up timetabled in. I think it must suit us - as it is always where we end up - but I do sometimes wish for more time for spontaniety...
Oh glad she got the message, Nic, F will be pleased too. See you Saturday.
Allie - you do fit a heck of a lot in that way though, and as you say, it does seem to suit you. What suits us now might change in couple of years or less for all I know.
I like the 'being able to' of spontaneity, but it's really important to me to have some regular things too. I'm very much still finding a balance with this.
Post a Comment