Saturday, July 21, 2007

8 things meme

Tagged by Pearl at Lime

The rules are simple…Each player lists 8 facts/habits about themselves. The rules of the game are postedat the beginning beforethose facts/habits are listed. At the end of thepost, the player then tags 8 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know that they have been tagged and asking them to read your blog.

Here are mine:

1. I am 99.9% vegan and my reasons are ethical - not wanting to be responsible for more harm to living things than is absolutely unavoidable (e.g. if I lived somewhere where the only sustaining food available wasn't vegan I would eat it, including killing it if I had to, but since I live in a culture with access to plenty of good vegan food, I don't need to, so I am lucky enough to be able to make that choice)

2. My daughter doesn't go to school and I am very happy with that decision

3. I have been a freelance translator for about 10 years and like my job most of the time, especially the freedom/control it gives me over my time (except the day before a deadline but that has its own joys)

4. I am writing a novel very slowly but I have the whole plot in my head - I love writing it, but I don't seem to do it very often, partly because I love it too much or something

5. I was here twice and sometimes here and did some of this in the 80s and also was active at that time in groups protesting about animal welfare and environmental issues, and worked voluntarily in local Oxfam shop and office.

6. My favourite music is by The Pixies, The White Stripes and Meat Loaf but also music from the musicals Little Shop of Horrors and Les Miserables

7. I am a serious addict of online life and wish everyone I knew was on YIM

8. My natural sleeping time is between 2:30am and 10am

I have a feeling there is no-one left to tag?

2 comments:

Allie said...

Was thinking about Greenham just the other day and Reclaim the Night - after reading about them both in the Guardian special.

I was at Greenham sometimes too, but only took part in one Reclaim the Night march - a sort of nostalgic one in Leeds in 1990 or so!

I think your work is cool - using a skill, for decent pay, under your own control. And it has a really clear purpose.

a said...

Ah nostalgia! Greenham was great wasn't it? Very special.
The main RTN march I remember was after Peter Sutcliffe the Yorkshire Ripper had been arrested, I think, maybe a few months after - it really related to the whole 'curfew on women for their own good' thing.
My work does suit me, my only wish would be for more texts in the less commercial/industrial areas now and then. I love that it gives me plenty of laptop time!