Wednesday, May 07, 2008

This morning was dominated by deliveries - J and I had managed a bit of an online spending spree over the last 10 days or so and everything decided to come today!
We got some clothes for me, small paintboxes to take out sketching with F, a hose, some books for J, a CD and... a Wii. And Wii Fit!
Been a lovely day, filled the paddling pool in the afternoon (with the hose, snaking over the garage roof) and F spent a couple of hours splashing about. In the morning, it was mainly delivery-takingness and a bit of online browsing and Animal Crossing.
J came home for lunch again and we had nice picky bits, salad stuff, samosas, apples, houmous...
In the evening we started on the Wii and Wii Fit - what a fantastic bit of kit! F did the balancey stuff - how excellent is that for someone with hemiplegia? It's perfect! It has these things that show visually/graphically exactly where your centre of gravity is and you can correct it until it's centred. That's £20 worth of physiotherapy right there! She did some yoga, tightrope walking, a bit of stepping. She and J did bowling, tennis and golf on Wii Sports too. Tomorrow I will get a go on it I bloody hope!
Heard F telling Dozy Mog how the letters 't' and 'h' together don't say 'terher', they say 'th' (she doesn't exactly say the 'th' sound very often, more of a 'l' or a 'v' or a 'f' depending, but Dozy Mog seemed to know what she was talking about). She also told me that, if I find bugs, whether dead or alive, I have to take them to the bugs tent if it's open and leave them there to rest, poor things. This evening, in the middle of a conversation at the table, she spotted a woodlouse on the ground and interrupted herself mid-flow to get down and say to it: 'Oh little one, do you have a secure home, I can help you to get to one if you need it, oh you are probably alright are you?'
She helped me with getting the hose sorted and paddling pool, so we have talked a bit about how water flows down due to gravity, slopes and gradients (our garden isn't flat, so the paddling pool will always be full at one edge and empty at the other!) and valves.
We had a couple of huge laughs - one when I was letting the hose down from the bathroom window (long story) and we joked about a handsome prince coming along and asking the princess to 'let down your beautiful green garden hose' - and another when I found a rubber band on the door handle and she said 'it was on my wrist' but it sounded like 'on my list' so I teased her that she kept a list of random and bizarre things to do, which we thought were just her being a 6-yr old, but were actually all planned and organized, e.g. 1) put rubber band on door handle 2) put a piece of paper on the bottom step 3) put lego bricks on the kitchen floor, etc.

7 comments:

Kirsty said...

ooh glad Wii fit is getting your vote. I want to get it but just haven't got round to it since getting home. Was wondering what the general consensus was on it.

a said...

I think it's great (did I mention that?). I was very reassured to see where F's natural centre of gravity was - not far off at all, only slightly to left and back. I love the balance games.

alison said...

We're enjoying it here Kirsty :)

Sounds like you and F are having a great time :)

Allie said...

'Let down your hose' sounds rather like some of the spam messages that have recently been gracing our inbox!

Glad you are enjoying your Wii. I have to confess that I have previously totally failed to see the appeal. If you want to go bowling then why not go bowling... It's interesting to hear someone explain a use that seems to make sense to me. But I am a real heretic when it comes to computer games as I *whisper* don't really like them at all...

alison said...

"If you want to go bowling then why not go bowling..."

Because sometimes not everyone in the family wants to go bowling? Because sometimes it's 7am and you want to stay in your pyjamas? Because sometimes it's 1am and you're drunk? Etc :)

The daftest bit on Wii Fit is "free jogging" - you jog on the spot for a specified period of time, and it tells you you can change the channel and watch tv while you do it. Like you couldn't do that *without* buying WiiFit, lol!

a said...

yeah 'let down your hose' has dodgy overtones I'm trying not to think about, although when I bought the hose on Amazon, it strangely suggested I'd also be interested in a Daniel Craig DVD, which did make me wonder...
The Wii is for when you don't want to go to a bowling place or it's not open, you want to do bowling for a short while but you don't want to spend half an hour getting ready and travelling, spend money going in, feel committed to staying for 2 hours because of the time and money you've already invested, etc.
If you want to do 10 mins bowling then 5 minutes trying to walk a tightrope, then 10 minutes pretending to ski and then a few yoga positions, that's what the Wii is for. And it does it very well indeed. It's fun!

Allie said...

Ah well, that'd be my problem with it. I obviously have a puritanical streak (hungry little children in Africa would love to eat your sprouts...) that makes me feel that you should commit to getting dressed, getting on the bus and having a miserable time at the bowling alley! It must be age getting to me. I'll be moaning about the internet next and advising everyone to go out and get some fresh air... ;-)