Thursday, April 21, 2005

we made a laptop

So yesterday I took delivery of my new laptop (she blogged from the comfort of the sofa). So this morning F suggests making a laptop for her. Cardboard and silver foil and bit of see-through plastic were implemented to great effect. I had to do most of it in the end, as there's a limit to how much glue sticks can do to cardboard. But it was fun. She was torn between wanting to join in, wanting to give orders and wanting to hide so that I could surprise her with it when it was finished. It was interesting to see which details she picked as essential identifiers of laptopness, not just the screen, keyboard and lid, but the logo on the lid in the middle, for instance.
I think she's coming down with a bug, she was sniffly the other night and a bit wobbly today, and demanded ice-cream, which I used to think meant she was being spoilt and horrid but actually she only really gets into a state about it when she has some kind of cold/difficulty breathing/sore throat thing. So this time I said 'yes she could', trying to trust her and my experience of her more.
I did some serious tidying, sorting and cleaning today, that was really kind of satisfying. I have finally accepted that sometimes it's quicker to actually concentrate on boring housework as it gets done better and faster than when I try to do it absent-mindedly while thinking about more interesting things. I even look at the surfaces I'm cleaning these days, and clean them accordingly. Maybe I'm just getting old.
Put some stuff in a bag for charity too, few books, clothes. Still finding it difficult to actually cull any toys yet though. Maybe when she's 5, we could have a huge clearout.
She ended her day before bedtime with playing a game with her dad, making him guess what animal or letter she had in her hand. She has a funny idea of guessing though, she insists on telling you what she has, as well as showing you, then you have to guess. So J was playing along pretending he didn't know, suggesting an 'A' was an 'X' and a whale was a duck, etc. for 10 minutes or so. She seemed to enjoy it. I like that she is coming up with so many ideas for games/makes etc. these days.

No comments: