Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Oh I so slept.
Nearly 10 hours I got - woke up at 10am, not even by an alarm or child or doorbell, just awakening. Very nice. Came downstairs to find F was playing 'school' with Rainbow Dash and Dozy Mog. She was keen to tell me how it wasn't at all a strict school. When I came down I think she was doing reading with Rainbow Dash.
I pottered and onlined for an hour, while she watched Dr Who and had a couple of bowls of cereal, then we got down to the business of the day, namely writing or drawing things we wanted to do on pieces of paper, folding them up and choosing them randomly in turn for the rest of the day.
I was interested to see that F decided to write hers instead of drawing for the first time - it felt weirdly like the end of an era. OK, what she wrote was "DS" and "TV" but still... last time she drew a really distinctive picture of a telly. I kind of missed that personalness tbh, makes you think about individuality and how a child has to temporarily give up that quirky personal feel when they start expressing themselves in writing, a bit like learning a new language and losing your identity for a while as you can't express your sense of humour and other character quirks properly.
Mine were: each have a 30-minute bath (which didn't happen in the end); watch a whole Tracy Beaker DVD together and chat about it; go for a walk. The walk got adapted to be visiting the park in the end, and TV was kind of combined with Tracy Beaker DVD, since that turned out to be what she had been thinking of.

So, first we opened 'DS' and played Animal Crossing for about 40 minutes, me helping with the reading mainly. We did that in her room - she has a piece of fur fabric that she has had in her bed but now makes her too hot apparently, so I draped that over a white storage unit for a bit of easy room pinkivation, at some point when I wasn't actually needed as translator or audience.
Then F had a brief interlude of playing with dolls and other toys in her room, before my order from The Body Shop arrived and we enjoyed a short time opening things and smearing and smelling them. I got some lavender body scrub, aloe moisturiser, papaya body butter, a body brush and a few bath fizzies.
After that we opened 'TV' and had lunch whilst watching a couple of episodes of Tracy Beaker. It was a toast, crackers, sandwichy type of lunch, involving Cheezly and Sainsbury's Dairy Free chocolate spread! And Pringles.

Then we opened 'Go for a walk' (which F read) and went over to the park, where we saw neighbours briefly, then saw the 2 golden retrievers. One of them recognizes F and came up to say 'hello' to her before she had even noticed their arrival. Chatted to their lady for a bit, then F did playground stuff and we both had ice lollies. When we left, the dog made a point of coming up again for a pat goodbye too, which was endearing.

Back here, we opened 'Watch a Tracy Beaker DVD' and got the duvet on the sofa and snuggled to watch the Tracy Beaker 'Movie of Me', with much discussion of why the characters reacted to things as they did and what they were thinking and feeling and expecting or hoping. All very enjoyable, wish I was better at explaining that kind of thing but I do my best.

J came home fairly early just as the DVD was finishing, a neighbour popped round with a Thank You card and a bottle of red wine for J (who doesn't really drink, so hmm, what shall we do with that then... hmm... slurp) because he had helped her get her puter back online. We had curry for dinner - I gave F only a little as I know she's not generally keen and we recently talked about that and she had mentioned how she much prefers raw vegetables, rather than 'saucy stuff' so I remembered and gave her a little bit of rice and aloo gobi, plenty of warm bread and raw mushrooms, yellow pepper and cucumber. That went down really well.
Nice day, F still happy and lovely!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you got some sleep, missed you at mms x

a said...

I felt terrible about missing it and not doing drama

Anonymous said...

ah don't feel bad, sleep is more important!